1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wolf eye detail

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by juli, Apr 26, 2014.

1. juli

juli Active Member

[​IMG]

Just tried scultping in the eye detail for the first time today...nictitating membrane, etc...
    [​IMG]

and the nose

[​IMG]

Juli

Museum Man and rogerswildlife like this.
  2. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

Looks good.

3. falco

falco Trapping is fun

actually thats excellent.

4. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

Bet the rest of it looks great as well if you nailed the facial details like that. Would love to see the whole wolf.

5. sparky9880

sparky9880 New Member

really great eye work, julie. I did a wolf last year, (first one) and sort of messed up the eye look. wished i has seen your pics before i did mine.
    One eye looks a little crosseyed.
    HOw do you post an attachment, i see yours are 492Kb, and i tried one this large and it still gives me the message of 192kB MAX FILE SIZE.?? mark

6. juli

juli Active Member

First of all, thanks very much for the nice compliments. It has taken me 14 years to get to this point and I am STILL learning, every time I put an animal together. I am my own worst critic, to be sure.

WC - This is a wolf rug - currently on the table being stretched. :) So, I am afraid the rest of it isn't as 'cool' as a lifesize mount would be. :)

Mark,

I used a photo upload sight - tinypic.com ...then copied and pasted the web link into my text.
    As for setting the eyes, I have found that setting the eyes and taking several photos before modeling the clay helps me to see where my angles are off. I will post some pix later to show you.

again, thanks everyone.

Juli

7. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ice likes this.
  8. juli

juli Active Member

Always nice to see good reference material Jerry. In this photo it looks like the camera angle was well above the level of the wolf's head, based upon how far 'up' he is looking. And given the somewhat cross-eyed look that it was also fairly close to him as well.

9. boxerpet

boxerpet Harry Paulson-grateful

Jerry, Considering its a live wolf picture reference what is with the crossed eyes comment?

10. juli

juli Active Member

supposing you meant Juli, not Jerry...

The closer an object is to your eyes, the more 'cross eyed' you become...The reference photo posted looks to me (my opinion) like the camera or object the wolf was looking at was fairly close to him/her...and above his eye level as well...Or it could just be me. :)

I am in no way trying to imply that what I accomplished was perfect. It is/was not, Perfect is for God. I tried my best and that was the result. Next time, I hope to do better, as always.

here are some links to other wolf pix for reference (real wolves, mind you)

http://wfiles.brothersoft.com/b/black-wolf-eyes_145547-1920x1200.jpg
    http://abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/930373/
    http://hqwide.com/wallpapers/l/1366x768/42/blue_eyes_snow_landscapes_grey_wolf_wolves_1366x768_41308.jpg

11. really good detail! I see you study reference very well. Great job!

12. Wow! that looks incredible. is that the real nose? if so how did yours not shrink at all? mine seem to wrinkle and shrink a little.

13. juli

juli Active Member

Thanks!

The key to good noses.... Thin them till you can practically see through them - all the nose skin, even the nostril 'flaps' have to be split, cleaned out, and thinned. :) It is tedious work, but really is the only way to get a good 'real' nose.

I have never fully appreciated the fake noses....they have their place... but rarely do I use one on my mounts.

Juli

LordRusty likes this.
  14. Thank you, that's very helpful.

15. Matt

Matt Active Member

Really nice work! It is easy to see you are paying attention to your reference, and more importantly, you know how to apply what you see. That itself takes talent and skill.

16. Amazing work!!!

17. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

that thing sucks

18. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Juli, beautiful work. I have always had problems getting my mammals eyes set correctly. It's impossible to find someone that offers training near me that lines up with my school schedule! I still have those two wolves I got from you a couple years back in my freezer. I don't want to attempt them until I get training. Keep up the great work.

19. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

look at the picture Jerry sent, that is what a wolf looks like

20. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Apparently you have an issue with juli bring up an almost 7 year old thread . Not sure what the problem is as it’s none of my business, but her work is great . Trying to take that away from her 7 years later is a bit childish. JMO .