1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can you reuse pickling baths multiple times??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andrew M, Apr 26, 2014.

1. this might be a simple question but I'm new to tanning. so if I've got a big pickle bath with a lot of hides and then a week or so later (after I've removed all the hides) i get a lot more hides. rather then pouring out all of that water, salt, and acid can i just reuse it? (i would probably need to add more acid depending on the PH level) or should i just start with fresh water, salt, and acid ???

thanks guys!!

Andrew

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Check the archives this has been gone over tons of times.

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Andrew is right - but simply said. Make sure before you reuse it, make sure the pH is correct, and have a Salinometer to check that your Salt level is about 40-43%! Tanneries do it all the time! Unless its dirty!

4. how would you define dirty?? when i pull out my hides from the pick the water always looks dark and kinda dirty. i was reading in the archives about it and people say to get a salinometer. i assume u can buy those through Mckenzie, Van Dykes, and WASCO??

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

ok lets put it this way tanneries will re-use it once and destroy it, Why they have no idea on the way hides been taken care of and have to worry about contamination ......... With that said yes you can many times over. I do 5 deer hides at once and probably do up to 25-30 hides in the same pickle. Now before any hide goes in the bath, I hydrate them, and really stir them around to get most of the dirt out of the capes. from there I mix up another bath with some Kemal-4 and wash the hide again, seeing the water gets real dirty and or bloody. I don't like bloody hides on a pickle, that cause the havoc, dirt not generally. Then I rinse them again, drain and right into the pickle.
    For bears, I may use it twice cause of grease in the pickle and the way the clients treat them I l choose not to do it more than twice and I do two to three bears depending on size in the pickle and trust me bears are dirtier than deer.

A salinometer is a must here! Keep it at 42-44 %

6. thanks everyone for your response. Frank that answers my question perfectly!!