1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lost looking for help on pricing bison

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by John L, Apr 29, 2014.

1. John L

John L Active Member

I have a customer with a full buffalo skin with head still in frozen. They want a shoulder mount done and the rest dry tanned to a throw rug no backing just soft tanned.

What is a good estimate of tanning costs. I figure $400 for cape wet tan but not sure on size of back hide yet so not sure how to price it.

Just guessing at a price could leave me broke and disgusted. So, any advice would be great.

2. A half hide is around 36 sq ft...so figure your tanneries price per sq ft times 36. Then add your time for scraping and salting and removing the tail bone...about half the tanning cost for that. Then add shipping both ways to the tannery. Then add what you would pay yourself for the job. You should come up with a number that will keep you from being disgusted with yourself.

In the above example here at Sivko we charge $14 per sq ft for the tanning. Figure $7 per sq ft for the prep work. That's $21 times 36 sq ft. Shipping is going to depend on how far your tannery is from you. I would guess you would want to make $100 on top of all that for yourself.

3. John L

John L Active Member

Thanks, David