1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Canvasback

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bryar, Apr 29, 2014.

1. bryar

bryar Member

Shot a canvasback and don't no how to mount it any one have and suggestions ??

2. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

[​IMG]

3. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

I think a preening pose would look good on one.

4. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

They look awesome swimming. Their eyes and head feather coloration/posture give them such an attitude.
    My favorite duck.

5. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

How bout a diver?!
    [​IMG]

6. I was under the impression that pochards do not open their wings while diving??? I thought only a handful of sea ducks opened their wings under water as a means of propulsion. Do you have any reference pics of Cans with their wings open diving? The other thing is their feathers would be very tight to their body while diving...not fluffed up.

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I know this thread was not meant to question or critique someone's work or what a species does or does not do. I do however have to agree with Jones on this one. Some do and some dont. I just know that I got busted on a competition Old Squaw because I opened the wings on it. Would have been a first place had I not done that. I really like your can Ryan and do like the divers in a diving pose. It just gives that bird more action and tells a story.

All i can say is mount it the way you want, do a google search and pick out a photo of one and mount it like that.

8. ryan rhodes

That's what the customer wanted, he pays, I produce. Simply showing off the bird the way he wanted it. Honestly, I'm not really concerned with wether or not it's technically correct. The vast majority of mounts aren't if you want to get picky...

KLFL likes this.
  9. B Jones

like I said I like the mount.

10. ryan rhodes

B jones, I'm not offended at all. I do what I can to make customers happy within reason! It's not like the feet are pink and the eyes are yellow! And also, for the record, old squaws do in fact open their wings when diving, that I know for a fact. Your judge was dead wrong....

11. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

Did you even look at the link to the video I posted? No flying underwater in shallow water for the long-tailed duck.

And deep divers achieve that feat primarily by altering their specific gravity, than by working harder at flapping it's wings.

"A protracted immersion of the body through
    natural strength requires special construction not only in the motor,
    but also in the respiratory apparatus; hence the task of the extremities
    to shove the bird under water must be facilitated by contrivances that
    make possible a controlled decrease in specific gravity. The diving
    birds have this arrangement in their very large inspiratory air-sacs,
    which can be emptied at need by application of pressure on the abdomen.
    After exhalation the diving bird is specifically heavier than the
    swimming and land birds, for the decrease in pneumaticity of the skeleton
    runs parallel with the increase in diving ability."

12. B Jones

Harvey Ziegler.

13. ryan rhodes

I hate when taxidermists say "never" and "can't"....

KLFL likes this.
  14. caleb sinnema

caleb sinnema New Member

I think a canvasback dead mount would be cool. I saw one the other day and thought it looked nice.

15. snowkillerlssu

snowkillerlssu New Member

I got dinged last year cause I mounted a diving squaw wings tucked not out.Lol. can't make em all happy......

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

16. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

I would suppose if in doubt, submit your reference photo to the judge. The mounts look nice, by the way. :)