1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

moose skull cap

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by turkeyjim, Apr 30, 2014.

1. I'm doing a moose shoulder mount and simmering the skull cap. It's been de greasing for over 4 hours and doesn't seem to be leaching much grease out of it. How long does a guy de grease a moose skull cap.
    Jim

2. nobody mounts moose any more.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do you degrease all of your deer skull caps? I don't. I clean them off good rub some borax on for chits and giggles and hang to dry. Same with moose.

4. no i don't boil my deer skull cape but I wish i would have took a pic of the amount grease that came off the skull cape of that moose. There was alot. But thanks 3 bears.
    Jim

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

On a Big bull, the thickness of the skull (cap) is significantly thicker than a medium or small bull.. upwards of 1-1.5" thick in places.. you could drill a bunch of small holes in the skull cap.. some half way thru, some all the way thru.. then blue dawn dish soap and 120 degree water for a few days.. hit the bone with a air compressor a few times in between.. take out and let the skull cap DRY.. I do this soon as I get em, so by the time the cape comes back from tan the skull cap is dry as a bone.. I find by drilling the small holes thru the skull cap really locks things in when I bondo the skull cap on and secure with 8-10" lag bolts.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jesse, I'm betting your skulls come in fresh, the ones I get in are already pretty much rotten. Because most don't have freezer space for a moose rack. I cook em, wash em off and do as I stated. They end up drying for a month or two and have never noticed any grease dripping from them.