1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

This is a replica skull isn't it? Panda

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Skullery, May 1, 2014.

1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Panda-Skull-NO-RESERVE-AND-FREE-SHIPPING-/181395054274?pt=US_Taxidermy&hash=item2a3bfcdec2

2. Looks like it but the pictures aren't very good.

3. Yes, replica. You can tell by the inner nasal bones. They just look "carved"

4. Wouter

Wouter Member

As Nelson said, you can see it's a replica by the nasal bones, they have not enough detail. Very good cast though, the detail pic of the teeth could have fooled me. I wonder why this chap does not want to ship to the Netherlands, we have no problem with replica pandas here :eek:

Wouter

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Repro that needs a good run through the dishwasher to clean it up.

6. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Teeeempting!

7. I believe this to be a replica Giant Panda Skull. I don't know where it came from or who made it. The detail is amazing and I don't think most people could tell the difference between it and a real skull.

Right out of the link.

https://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_variant.php?id=3394

8. Guus

Guus Member

It's a replica from Bone Clones, I had one for a customer, they are really good! Only thing is the nasal bones, but they are so hard to recreate that I think they are natural enough. It's probably the closest most of us can get.

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I figured also a Bone Clones piece. When it was new, the teeth were not chipped and broken so this one has had some hard treatment in it's past. Probably from being dropped.

10. It's a cast for sure but IMO it looks like the teeth were poured in some kind of translucent resin and the rest of the skull was poured in either hydrostone plaster or some other kind of totally opaque resin. I've got a few Boneclones casts and they all appear to be poured out of the same kind of resin, teeth and skull. Also I'd guess some kind of semi-porous material for the skull part because of the way the dirt and grim has stuck to it (and not the teeth). The current Boneclones panda cast also seems to be a lot smoother-surfaced than this cast does. Not saying Boneclones couldn't have made it, but if they did, their technique has changed quite a bit over time. I suppose anyone interested could ask the seller how heavy the skull is, because if it is hydrostone or dental stone, it would probably weigh a few pounds. My guess is it is probably a Chinese-made cast (though most of those Chinese casts on Ebay don't look anywhere near this good) or perhaps just a small time cast maker who somehow managed to get access to a real skull.