1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rick Carter Casting Class ............in progress

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by antlerman, May 2, 2014.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Day 4 is in the books and we have one more day to go. This class has gone way beyond everyone's expectations. I honestly feel as though we all got our monies worth on day one, but Rick hasn't let up for one minute. He is a teaching machine. Everyday is yet another venture into the world of whitetail taxidermy. I simply can't say enough about what we all have learned this week. Perhaps the most interactive class I've ever participated in. The level of talent here is remarkable also. Everyone here has had something to share that will no doubt raise the bar for all of us in attendance. Top shelf stuff that you just couldn't get anywhere else at any price other than a group class filled with talent like this one. We have had fun too. A very well rounded group that I am so pleased to have had the opportunity to get to know and work beside. You guys have made this experience worth the effort and time it took to host this event. Rick and I are so happy about the way this class has gone that Rick is willing to do it again, so stay tuned. A date will be announce sometime in the future. But a word of caution to anyone who might consider this class on their bucket list. This class is for the individual who desires to compete at the highest levels. Don't be surprised to see some of this weeks attendees winning BIG at major competitions. George Reed, Ryan Lane, Billy Dunn, (last years best pro whitetail at the worlds winner), Kurt Ainsworth, (3rd in the world small mammal master's last year), and Michigan taxidermist Ralph Ely. All of these guys are knocking at the door and I expect that door to open wide for all these guys in the very near future. These guys already know what it takes to win, and now............if you expect to beat any of these guys in the future you best bring your A game and then some. Or better yet, get in on the next class so as to not get smoked by one of these guys at a show near you. YES, seriously.........this class is that good. Thank You Rick for pulling out all the stops and leaving it all on the table for us to absorb. I've dreamed about this class for a long long time, and I can honestly say you blew past all my dreams and expectations of what you would teach and share with us. Thank You So Much Mr. Carter. It has been an absolute dream come true, and beyond, and I know all the others feel the same way as I.

PS...........we also ate our asses off too.

A Major Thank You Also to McKenzie Taxidermy Supply for their outstanding contribution of materials and supplies sent to support this one of a kind class. Your help was over the top and we are all very very grateful, so THANK YOU McKenzie for everything.

Tomorrow afternoon everyone leaves, but all will be missed and remembered. WHAT A CLASS! Thank you all for coming. It was FUNTASTIC!

2. If Kurt Ainsworth was there I am sure there was never a dull moment.

3. I have been to many such seminars, and this was the best for sure. Great group of guys and the knowledge was unbelievable. Thank you all for a great time and thanks Tim for putting it all together. Thank you Ralph for including me and traveling with me. If you get the opportunity to do this class in the future you better jump all over it. See you at the finish line. Kurt

4. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I made it home a little while ago and I'm too tired to sleep! Thanks Tim for hosting the Cast-O-Rama. Thank you for the kind remarks as well. We worked hard and covered a lot of material. The level of talent was through the roof. Thanks to McKenzie Taxidermy Supply for sponsoring the seminar and providing a ton of materials and samples. I'm going to have to declare war on food this week. I probably gained 10 lbs.

5. gobbl4me

gobbl4me New Member

I want to start off by thanking Tim for being such a great host. Tim took us to some great places to eat and anything that anyone needed, he took care of it. He welcomed us into his home and shop as if we had know each other for years. I want to thank Mckenzie for the materials that they donated for the seminar. We had the best group of guys that anyone could hope for. Everyone paid attention and were there to learn. Kurt showed us lots too, my stomach still hurts from all his jokes. I cant thank Rick enough for all he has showed us, what a wealth of knowledge. The information was nonstop. Now if I could just retain some of it, lol. We put in some long days and they were worth every minute. What a great workshop! I would like to thank all of you guys ( Rick, Tim, Kurt, Ralph, George, Ryan), for letting me be part of it! Thank you, Bill.

6. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Had a blast. Learned a ton. One of us was describing this class as the perfect storm. Everyone worked great together and the information flowed from everyone. Here is the gang.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Tim and Rick
    Kurt I have some of your reference pictures. I will send them to you.
    Ralph

7. antlerman

Did anyone notice that Rick is standing on a stool? LOL

8. Rick Carter

It was an alligator stick. lol

9. Ryan L

Ryan L Member

Thank you to everyone for such a great class!! I had a very good time and learned more than I'm sure I can remember. Thank you to Tim for being such a great host and knowing all of the best places to eat around town. I gained 9.4lbs last week! Thanks to Rick for sharing his knowledge and for being a great instructor. Thanks to the rest of the guys for sharing your knowledge and hospitality as well. Thank you to McKenzie for being so generous with donated supplies! I had a great time and am very glad I was able to attend! The one regret that I have is that I'm not a faster runner to be able to get out of the garage faster when Ralph, Kurt and Rick decide to do science experiments!!! Lol

10. slater56

slater56 Member

Thank you all for a great week, I enjoyed working with all of you. We all learned, laughed and ate like kings. Tim, thank you for welcoming us into your shop and Rick for sharing your knowledge. See you all at the world show next year. Take Care, George

11. Mark Morren

Mark Morren New Member

Did anybody leave there with the finish mouth cast?

12. antlerman

We destroyed that thing in the drive way. You think anyone was gonna let anyone leave with it? Not in this lifetime. LOL

Since this was the first Cast-o-rama, we learned that we can't do it all for everyone in 5 days. The first two days were spent selecting specimens, posing, freezing and then pouring the negatives. The next 3 days were intense as Rick talked about and showed us all step by step in such a way that we all left feeling very confident in our abilities to duplicate that in-which we had been taught. There was a lot of information to absorb. If we ever do another one, we plan to have the heads pre posed and frozen ready to work with, which means Rick would have to arrive two days ahead of time. During this first run we learned more about what we can do and can't do in the allotted time frame. It would have been nice if everyone could have completed their own piece as everyone came prepared to do just that, but time did not permit. Rick taught non stop for 5 long hard days. I know there are others who claim to teach a class on casting open mouths in a single day's time. I don't see how that's even possible. Maybe if the negative was already made and you just worked on the casting part of the job, but in doing so you leave a lot of important information on the table and not shared. I don't think Rick left anything on the table unshared. I truly believe that we got the best that Rick had to offer. Right down to the gnats ass that he himself would use in a competition. The one thing that is also a benefit(luxury) that comes with Rick is the mere fact that he's done it all every-way that is even possible due to his tenure at Noonkester and WASCO respectfully. Everyday of his life for the past 3 decades he has played the mad scientist as part of his daily employment. The benefit to us students because of that, Rick saved us thousands of dollars in time and materials by sharing his knowledge of what works, what doesn't work, and farther into what works best to obtain the best results. When you factor in all of that, this class was priceless even if we didn't get to produce our very own mouth piece. Next time, if there is a next time, we will be better prepared to facilitate that into the class. I hope that answered your question completely and any other questions anyone else may have. At the end of the day, it was a fantastic learning experience and I think we all got far more that we expected to. And yes, the cast went home with one of the attendees, but I'll never tell who it was, unless he uses it against me. LOL

13. I will post pictures as soon as photo bucket is back on line.

14. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

The key to everything is sand.
    Ralph

15. Mark Morren

Mark Morren New Member

I just thought if you go to a casting class you should walk away with a finished product. I have been to a casting 101 but in four days walked away with my molds and my finished cast of both top and bottom.

16. antlerman

We could have done that too. But we opted to have Rick teach us more, and he did. Much more than just making a mold. When you have someone of Rick Carters caliper in your midst, why not pick his brain for all it's worth? The class went the way it did by everyone's choice. You weren't here so your vote wasn't counted. You went to casting 101. We went to Phd. casting.

17. Mark Morren

Mark Morren New Member

I paid for my Casting just because I emphasize that it was Casting 101 I probably went to one of the best there is in the world and I paid a pretty good fee to do so I'm just simply asking why didn't you walk away with a finish product I don't care how who taught the class or how long it took why did you walk away with a finish product?

18. Rick Carter

We did have a finished product and everyone participated throughout the entire process. We completed a totally finished acrylic jawset and installed it into an altered manikin complete with undercut lip lines. All agreed that it was a much better quality than they had seen at most master level competitions. It would even be competitive in masters at the World show. We made functional molds, applied acrylic, assembled good parts, made an awesome tongue, completely covered design and manufacturing possibilities. It was not a Vacation Bible School where every kid walks away with a plaster cast of praying hands. A lot of things were covered that are leading edge competition techniques. The folks at this class paid for information that will give them a distinct competitive advantage and they got what they paid for. I do not suspect that very many of these things will be openly discussed for a very long time, probably never on a DVD and especially not for free.

These photos were made by Kurt Ainsworth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

The only thing I can say is I wish I was there...... In the last two years I have go to various classes for Deer, Waterfowl and Fish and I can honestly say that when you go for a specialized subject like Deer then spend the money and go to the best. I'm about to attend another class with Neil Fowler and Doug Montgomery just for some advanced tactics. I have not gone to Rick's class but those that I have talked to found it to be fantastic. I sure this casting class was just that way Fantastic and when you consider the caliper of the teacher and students there I'm sure there is or will be none better. Tim, I'll see you in Aug. if your around but I am Freaking Jealous..... Rick Congratulations.....

20. antlerman

I thought the real key was those shanks I made on the grinder. LOL Sand? What sand? Did I miss something?