1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Melanistic Turkey?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KansasBuck, May 2, 2014.

1. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

I've been hunting this Bad Boy for awhile. Finally closed the deal this morning. Is this melanistic. He was running with a bunch of Easterns.

Attached Files:

2. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

Looks like it to me. Very cool kill. Are you going to mount it?

3. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

that's what I was also thinking a Narragansett

4. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

Shot it on Drainage District Property. Its along a creek that we maintain. Mowing and Spraying etc. Have seen him with a bunch of hens for some time.

5. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

No turkey farms anywhere in the area. Definitely going to mount it. Probably in a flying pose. Already have a Rio strutting. Beside the fact that I blew a big patch of feathers off the right side of his neck.

6. Thats one heck of a bird!!! defiantly a neat kill.

7. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

Have you figured a taxidermist ? I would mount it farm kill or not. If it were my bird I would get an alert pose with a head turned. But your opinion is just as good as mine. Did the bird strut at all, was he wary, did he gobble at everything?

8. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

I have seen him strutting several times with a bunch of hens. I had a bearded hen fly down first and check out my decoys. When she was about 30yds. away I called again and he and 2 jakes came running in. His coloring is not the same as a Narragansett.

9. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

My bad about the Narragansett that's what it liked like to me. Neat kill.

10. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

that's very unique far different than what the DNR calls a ''smoke phase''.

11. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

Too bad there isn't a face palm emoticon. I knew I had seen it before on here but couldn't remember so I went with Narraganset or melanistic.

12. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Looks more Leusistic than Melanistic

13. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

I'll take your word for that, Tony. Thanks for the input.

14. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

Tony do you know what causes this. I was thinking its a recessive trait.

15. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It looks to me like it probably carries the Oregon Grey mutation. Not melanistic at all. Probably closer to being leucistic, but that mutation affects pigment location more than pigment production so it's technically neither.

The mutation got its name after it was first noticed in some wild Merriam's turkeys and was then isolated at Oregon State University.
    Since it already appeared in one subspecies of wild turkey, there's no reason that it couldn't also appear in another. Oregon Grey turkeys are still extremely rare in captivity so it's most likely that your turkey is a genuine wild mutation.
    Congratulations!

16. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

thank you Nancy.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I knew Nancy would come to the rescue.

18. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

sweet smoke phase man! definitely a trophy!