1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

150th Memorial Birthday Observance for Carl Akeley

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by John Janelli, May 2, 2014.

1. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    On Wednesday night May 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM in the Clarendon Recreation Hall - 16169 East Lee Road, the 150th memorial birthday (which is actually May 19) of Carl E. Akeley will be honorably observed and celebrated right there in his home town and place of birth. The National Taxidermists Conservation Committee was asked to actively participate in this remarkable occasion. In turn, we would like to extend the same invitation to one and all in the hopes of joining us on that momentous evening. Please know that if any individual, supplier, tannery, state or national organization would like to have their own plaque of recognition to Mr. Akeley presented on their behalf, yours truly would not only feel honored to deliver your engraved regards but would do so with no small amount of pride as well. A time capsule is currently being prepared that will insure the legacy of Carl Akeley will live beyond the 200th anniversary of his birth. What would you like placed in there for all to see 50 years from now?
    Keep in mind that even as a young teenager, Carl (Clarence) Akeley joined and supported the Great Grand Daddy of all other organizations, The Society of American Taxidermists. Even then he believed in higher standards, education, information and unity in his fledgling industry of taxidermy. Driven to have left his finger prints in the wet clay of life as it was modeled and sculpted into eternity by destiny itself. Come...be with us in Clarendon, NY, even if only in your hearts. For no token of expression to this amazing icon can be too small. No monument of any precious metal or stone could ever be too large for our own Carl Akeley.

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

JJ, you certainly know MY feelings toward this! This is the old sign before it was repainted...

[​IMG]

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'll be at the engraver Monday, anybody who cannot respect what this man did for our industry is as uneducated as those Americans who do not understand what George Washington did for freedom.

4. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

I am so thrilled and excited about this event coming up in the next few days. I have known for over twenty years since I moved to Clarendon NY that Carl Akeley was a man that never settled and was driven to stay true to his beliefs. As the town historian I have often talked of Akeley and all of his contributions to the world. I can't wait to meet John Janelli in person, he is a walking Akeley information machine!

Melissa Ierlan- Town of Clarendon Historian

Attached Files:

5. Bill Yox

Melissa, while I still lived over on Redman Rd I always was going to steal that sign overnight (and return it again by morning, of course) to make a cast impression of it, to send to John, haha. I did get a chance to bring John over there to see the sign while he visited me there, at least. I sure wish I was still living there as all this takes place!

6. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Here is a great article on the celebration Wednesday night:

[​IMG]

http://www.orleanshub.com/news2014/Clarendon-celebrates-150th-birthday-of-famed-resident-Carl-Akeley.htm

7. Bill Yox

Good deal!

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Very very very cool.

9. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

To all of the devoted Akeley admirers, this event far exceeded my expectations! I am still processing all of the things I saw and heard that night. Our very humble special guests John Janelli, Jay Kirk and Mike Oropallo just mesmerized the crowd of about 200 people ages ranging 14- 90 years old.

The recognition of Carl Akeley's accomplishments and contributions to the world even now just gives me goose bumps. I only hope that I can relay all of the important information about this man for years to come. I welcome any and all information that will enable me to do this and I thank everyone who helped me prepare for this event and make this event the best it could be.
    Melissa Ierlan
    Historian, Town of Clarendon

10. CJ59

CJ59 New Member

Melissa, everyone was so kind and friendly to us in Clarendon that we will never forget any of them. Mike and JJ thought at best there would be only about a dozen or so people there. But when they saw how quickly the seats filled up and with so many interested persons coming through the doors, well, I guess by now you know that it really didn't matter if the audience were five or five thousand people, my husband would have still told the stories about his Carl Akeley. Jay thinks that they both should put together some kind of a professional road act. Seriously, we all know one thing; you were the impetus for putting together the memorial birthday celebration of Carl Akeley. And what a spectacular job you and your amazing team did at that! Thank you so much for everything, and please express our appreciation to Christine and Scott Hunt, owners of the White Farm B&B along with everyone else who had anything to do with the occasion as well.

Thank you Larry and Kathy for the Akeley Medallion and the full list of Akeley award recipients. The heartfelt letter you sent along was opened and read just as Mike Oropallo made the special presentation there. Now the world knows how truly special Carl Akeley is to all of us, thanks to the World Taxidermy Competitions. I had to promise John not to post too much information about everything else that was accomplished. So let's just say you'll enjoy editing his next Breakthrough article.

Michael, your Goomba had the time of his life standing there with you and Jay Kirk talking about the Father of Modern Taxidermy. Thank you for taking the time for that and for the very special visit you arranged for us the next day at the Theodore Roosevelt Wildlife Experiment Station at the S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry. Leave it to JJ to look at a museum diorama, identify a piece, and press speed dial to speak with the taxidermist who did it. (I don't know how he knows either!)

Representing Conservation Force
    http://www.conservationforce.org/advisorsjanelli.html in giving the death mask of the "Old Man of Mikeno" to the town of Clarendon and touching on Akeley's most significant role in saving the mountain gorilla was such an honor for John, and it was an even greater privilege handing it to you, Melissa, the official town historian. I think my husband said it best when he repeated the words of James L. Clark;

"As long as there is African Hall, the story of Carl Akeley will never die."

Carol Janelli