1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mckenzie needs to make a Base & Habitat Catalog WITH OUT PRICES!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Bowstring, May 2, 2014.

1. Bowstring

Bowstring New Member

McKenzie has been putting out lots of great habitats, bases, and panels etc.
    But as a taxidermist and sales man of their products, They need to help us out.
    I feel like a hoofty every time a customer comes in and asks! well what is available.
    and I have to show the catalog with all the prices that I pay, and then have to try and mark
    it up to cover shipping and assembly and profit. How hard would it be for them to help us out with that!!!
    You don't go into any other business to purchase something and see what they pay for it.
    I've been told just cut it out of the catalog and make a scrap book, well ya can, but it looks unprofessional and takes time.
    I am selling a product for them.
    If enough of us squawk maybe they will get it together. Heck I would even pay a couple bucks to get one.
    Thanks and what are you guys thoughts.
    Bob's Wildlife Taxidermy Orefield, PA

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Charge what you want and don't worry about it. Are you doubling the list price? We have covered this many times here. If they bitch about you making money on supplies have them order them and pay the shipping and then charge $75 per hour to install. This shuts them up. Hey here's a novel idea make your own bases or habitats and charge whatever you want, then this shouldn't happen.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I don't see a problem .............!

I don't see a problem. If the customer questions it then I tell them I will mount the deer and they can order and assemble the habitat. Or I can do it at my price .... their choice.

:)

Kerby...

4. Mason

Mason Active Member

No problem here either. We itemize the bill and show them as we are writing, Cost, shipping, tax, time, etc.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Ron, exactly my point. When I order something for a customer piece, they are not only paying for supplies and shipping and also my time to place the order and installing it or using in their mount.

6. Mason

Mason Active Member

Yep 3bears,

Also, when Ya do it this way. Ya never get the "Wow, why so much" question
    Yeah, not a problem unless you are tryin to double up on others products.

7. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I'll agree with ya bowstring. I've thought abought this very thing.

I've always thought a larger showroom with these bases sitting out would sell them. Instead of just showing pictures. My problem is not enough room. Heck, I'm lucky if I can even find my mckenzie catalog. LOL!

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Just take a marker and blacken out the prices.

9. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Most customers have their own catalog anyway. I tell them I'll just mount the duck, you order your own base if you don't want to pay my markup. Just kidden!

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

someday when your're older and wiser, you'll realize how insignificant letting customers see the prices really is.
    the mark up you charge cant be any kind of a real issue with customers. If it is, then you're catering to the wrong crowd.

11. Wrong crowd???? I deal with everyone from people who can by and sell 99% of the people on this site, to the guy who has to make payments because his is the bottom of the line worker.

The rich guy has the catalog and thinks we get the item for 50% of the book price.
    "OH I know you don't pay those prices, you get a big discount."
    So you are saying the man who's net worth in the millions is the wrong customer, hum that dont make sense,
    You also say the poor man is not the best customer,
    then that also means the man in between is not the right customer.

Who Bill who is the right customer??

12. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

I can understand debating this. All other lines of service work dont have catalogs showing potential customers prices. Mechanics, Body shop and such. For instance I needed a new cat set on my four door wrangler. From Mopar it would have cost me $1200 just for the part. My buddy got through his shop for $678.00 a huge savings for me! Point being its hard to mark stuff up when the customer knows what you pay for it. We mark it up anyway but I can see the point here

13. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Whatever side of this debate you are on it is a FACT that in other retail business not just ANYONE can get a Product Catalog AND the "public" cannot get the same prices as a business.

You give a call to Remington or Ranger and see if you can get their "pricelist".

This is a by product of the unprofessional nature of our business. On BOTH sides.

14. The Comptroller at Ranger lives about a mile from me, I do work for all levels of people from Ranger. I know what the mark up on a boat, a motor and lots of other toys are. I cannot get that price anywhere. I have to pay retail.

15. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

The controversy over catalogs and prices is easily solved. McKenzie and others who print the prices in their catalogs don't care one bit about you and your shop. If they did, they would print a separate price sheet for the professional taxidermist....and you would have to ask for it, give your business license number, and generally prove you are what you claim. They would then issue you a customer number that went along with the price sheet. This is done throughout the industries.....one catalog showing the products and an accompanying price sheet. As it is now our industry catalogs are printed and sent to anyone who wants one, because all they want is to build the biggest customer base possible with little regard to the professionals who support them. And it's getting worse with the websites where anyone can bring up the webpage and order from it. Again, this could be acceptable if you needed a code or PIN number to get at the "wholesale" prices. In my own business, I do this to not compete with my dealers or distributors. On my website www.whitemountaininsectrepellent.com all the prices are higher than what a dealer or distributor pays. If you're an established business listed with us ,your prices are lower so you can make a profit. If we can do it so can McKenzie.....if they wanted to. JL

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes, damn that McKenzie, how dare they try to grow by broadening their customer base and making a profit. Do any of you have a clue how much it costs to set up and print catalogs? I don't but am guessing it isn't cheap. How would they benefit from paying it twice? I have to ask, why do so many want this industry to be so regulated? Most of us wouldn't be in it, if it were.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I follow the same course as Kerby and Ron and rarely have an issue.

18. Bowstring

Bowstring New Member

Not sure how to take some of these posts. This to me would be a very useful tool for every one in the profession. I have been in this trade for 40 years & 28 of them owning
    my own full time taxidermy business. I have bought and paid for my properties' and buildings with this trade and owe nobody a dime. my business supports several households. and I am proud of that. Maybe when I have 60 years in the trade I will be older and wiser and be able to keep up with some of you guys. As for novice Ideas to make my own bases, In the last 40 years In the trade I have made a couple thousand, but when I get good at it I will let you know. McKenzie makes great bases now and I have been using more of them for the smaller mounts. It gives me more time to work on larger projects, They didn't start making preassembled mountains and large habitats yet. I still think a small catalog of just bases, panels and habitats that they offer with out prices, would be worth its weight in gold. I kind of feel like a dink, with only one or two posts on the forums, but my work doesn't get done if I spend all day pecking on this computer.
    Thanks to the guys that didn't reply to me as a dink. I will try and post a couple pics of my novice Idea pics Hope they post okay.

Attached Files:

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Why even show them the catalogue???? Why not tell them 'I'll put it on this type of base (explaining)' and leave them some sort of surprise or anticipation....... I'd HATE to go to a taxidermist & know EXACTLY what my finished mount is going to look like, that's like wrapping up your kids Christmas presents after you had them pick'em out of the sears catalogue.

20. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well, you do know how to make your own bases, I bet you charged what you wanted. I cannot see how anyone complaining about the prices being in a catalog can benefit anyone. I for one do not enjoy customers trying to tell me how to run my business.