1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paasche v. Badger (HELP ME CHOOSE)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by BloodBrothersTaxidermy, May 3, 2014.

1. BloodBrothersTaxidermy

BloodBrothersTaxidermy New Member

I'm racking my brains trying to figure out which airbrush is the better performance value for my budget. I'm only able to [email protected]$100 and I'm hoping for some pros/cons from you guys to weigh my options. So..... If you have champagne taste and a beer pocket, which would you go with for versatility/best detail/longevity for the money?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Badger Spirit for detail work.

3. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

In a vacuum:
    Best detail = Badger renegade series with Ultra Fine tip
    Best versatility = Badger renegade series with Ultra Fine tip and Fine conversion
    Best longevity = tie, it's a vacuum

The reality is the answer to which best is as much about the operator as the airbrush.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The operator makes a big difference but I have a Paasche that I do everything with, that I have had for 10 years, no issues. Can't compare it to a Badger because, why would I need to buy one? I've read good things about Badgers though

5. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I have used a paasche vl for 20+ years and haven't had any issues. I'm like 3 bears I cant compare it to the badger .

6. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

I painted a lot of fish with the passche, feeling the same thing as 3bears and DDavis. then I was allowed to use a badger renegade spirit and a Iwata hp bc plus. The Passche is like driving a nail with pliers verses the renegade or Iwata, which is using a hammer to do the job easier.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you have never had an airbrush in your hands, and want to learn basics, buy one from Harbor Freight for $20 and use it. For the money, they are great little airbrushes, and offer a wide range of versatility. I use an airbrush everyday, and get several months service out of one of these before it goes in the trash. I always keep a brand new extra in stock. The tip size is .35mm, compared to a .20mm in my Iwata and Badger brushes. You will need to buy an air hose also, which is an additional $10. It can be used on other brushes, should you decide to upgrade at a later date. Buy a good respirator while you are at it...your lungs will appreciate the protection.

8. All I use is the paasche h with the medium tip, 52 dollars in the Mckenzie catalog

9. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

I would argue it all depends on what you intend to achieve with the brush. They both certainly have their place. I totally agree with Bob.

Best, Steve

10. den007

den007 Active Member

I am with Joey, and those who favor Renegade Spirit (for detail). Each brush has a different hand feel……….some like thick and chunky, others prefer slimmer. I love the results of the Renegade spirit………like the feel of the thicker brushes.

Even if you get very accustomed to one, it is a learning curve to switch style to style. I use a Paasche H for broad washes of color, which is much of what you will ask brush to do, Renegade Spirit for detail. I have at least 3 others……even one from Harbor Freight which is not too bad in a pinch.

11. DavidsonT

DavidsonT New Member

I like the Paasche Talon.It has a fine,medium and fan spray all in the same kit.I paint about 150 trout a year and use it for my detail work,have used it for a year and a half with no problems.Most durable,trouble free airbrush I have tried and no I don't work for Paasche.

12. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

It's not like there aren't hundreds of post on this subject already.......YES.....REALLY......HUNDREDS!

First of all, there is no such thing as an "all around" airbrush. They all have their purpose and that is based on tip size. Not fine, medium, broad or #1, #3, #5. You need to KNOW the tip size, in millimeters. Generally speaking a .2mm tip is for details, .3mm to .5 is medium to broad and over.5mm is broad coverage.

I used a number of Paasche airbrushes from the mid 60's, both H and VL and I thought they were very good airbrushes. In 1983 I was introduced to Iwata and I've never looked back. I'm still using that same HP-B(.20mm) in the shop today. I have a Badger Chrome(.21mm) that I like, but I have a problem keeping it running. My broad coverage brush is a Vega 2000(.35mm).

I prefer gravity feed with the cup on top, but the Vega is syphon. You don't need a large paint cup when you use a detail brush because you don't use that much paint.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Bingo!

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You can get just the airbrush for much less on Ebay. I have ten of them now.

15. BloodBrothersTaxidermy

BloodBrothersTaxidermy New Member

Thanks guys great input! I'm using a $20 harbor freight job right now. Granted I've done good. However I was hoping for more versatility with detail, better quality and workmanship of the airbrush itself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

16. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

I have an iwata I use fot mymatalic colors .but my badger to take it from me you'd have to pull it from my cold dead hands.

17. One of the easiest abs is the Paschee Talon, you just cannot shoot pearls with any of the detail airbrushes.

Some airbrushes are not made to shoot lacquers and thus is the problem. I saw an article in a magazine last year explaining this and which airbrushes were better with which fluids.

Most are designed to shoot inks, and the solvents in lacquers do a number on the packings.

18. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I spray pearls through my Badger renegade velocity and detail with it. Most pearls aren't designed to go through detail brushes (large pigment sizes); still the velocity handles the pearls Ive used well enough. It is easier to have a second airbrush because cleaning the pearls is trickier than regular pigments. The Talon is a nice all around airbrush, I prefer as mentioned in my first post.
    Best, Scott