1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boonedock's turkey heads and forms

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jimss, May 5, 2014.

1. jimss

jimss Active Member

I'm getting ready to send in several turkey heads to have freeze-dried by Boonedock's and was wondering people's opinions on their forms? They offer neck and drumstick additions. Has anyone used these? I imagine they would save time but obviously are more expense.

2. full fan

full fan New Member

You won't go wrong with using Brett "system" he has made me a "winner" as quite a few others with his heads & bodies.

3. MikeC

MikeC Proud Conservative

I am not a taxidermist but have two done woth his bodys and they are second to none. You cannot go wrong using any of Brett's products.

4. The best way to find out if you will like them is to order one and try it. I have used their forms and inserts for three years or so and every bird I do fits like a glove and requires less pinning and silicone. By saving 2 tubes of silicone you almost pay for the insert. I have used several forms over the years and have looked at Boondocks side by side with others in the studio. cant really tell you exactly what the difference is, some of the measurements are the same as other forms. I think its just small changes that make them so much different. IMO they are the best fitting form when you use the insert. Get one and try it!

5. capnmike

capnmike New Member

The most important thing to making a mounted bird look right is the anatomy and shape. It is very difficult to do if it is not right underneath. I have a hard time getting that shape on every body I have used except boondocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

6. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

Best decision you can make.

7. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

X2

8. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

heads are awesome and the body and necks make it a breeze to mount.

9. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Did a video on them last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DSMJzFO6tw

10. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I second the ''heads are awesome'' an d service is fantastic too THAT is as important sometimes as the product

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

everything they offer is the best you can get...your turkeys will show the differece

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

For you guys using Bad Boy Bodies. I didn't weigh my bird. This will be my first full body turkey mount. The bodies are sold by weight. Does any one know what weight body would be for a 23 1/2 x 13 1/2 body?

13. jimss

jimss Active Member

It sounds like Boonedock's is THE place! For those that have used their forms I have another question in regard to form size. A couple of the tom's I'm mounting are in=between sizes (around 20 to 21 lbs) . I'm curious if it is better to be conservative and go with the small size or go with the larger? I'm guessing that a tight fitting form (especially strut forms) would flare feathers a little better? Any recommedations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the Boonedocks advice!

14. James Parrish

Call Boondocks. They can tell you. I would prefer if they listed carcass measurements of the forms in addition to weight for those cases where a customer skins/breasts his bird, the bird is soaking wet from being in an ice chest, etc. The handy measurements to have are the length from the front of the shoulder to where the pygostyle pivots and the thickness (taken with calipers) from the top of the back to the point on the breast bone. 95% of the birds I mount fit medium or large bodies...so I keep those on hand and can compare them to the carcass or take measurements if needed.

15. James Parrish

I always opt for a smaller form if it is close. If the form is too tight, you will not be able to taxi the skin properly. It will actually pull the hackles down instead of helping them stand up. A 21lb bird usually fits just fine on a medium form, but you can mount it on a large body and it will be tighter but still allow you enough slack to taxi. So, a bird between 20 and 21lb, I would mount on a medium form. In that case, you would be assured no headaches with fit. If you put it on a large form, it might work ok or it might be a little tight for your liking.

16. schenk

schenk Member

X2, go smaller. It's easier to mount with too much skin then not enough.
    We usually have 15-17# birds here, they are all easterns. You do get some that are 19-20#.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Some of the suppliers call a 23 1/2 x 13 1/2 a small and some call it a medium. Thus my confusion. My scales broke otherwise I could have weighed it. I'll call them tomorrow.

18. full fan

full fan New Member

With the number for turkeys I do a year I have 1 of each size that I will test fit my skin after it is fleshed, washed, holes sewed & dried. Here is my take on it, Brett is selling you a "body" so look at it this way if that turkey you put on the scale is wet & has 3lbs of fat in the chest mines the skin,head & feet now what is the weight of the "body" . Kind of like is a 6ft guy 200lbs at age 50 the same body size as a 21 year old 6 foot 200lbs don't think so but they both weigh 200lbs.

19. capnmike

capnmike New Member

I do the same as full fan. I don't weigh or measure any of the birds when they come in. I know this doesn't help when you only want to order one body

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

20. jimss

jimss Active Member

I can see how different birds may have different body confirmations. Some may have plumper breasts, some longer breasts, etc. Sounds a little perverted? Lazy corn fed birds may be different than those that are range fed? I also wonder if easterns, merriams, rios, hybrids, etc often have different body confirmations depending upon the country they come from? I imagine it's pretty tough to size up birds from a chart. I'm not sure if there is a better way than having poundage and measurement tables by form suppliers? As mentioned above it is great when you have several form sizes available to choose from but it sounds like it's best to remain conservative if limited to buying 1 form to the smaller size. Thanks for all the great advice!

The video provided earlier was great. It would be nice if someone had a youtube video showing how to choose a properly fit body.
    Jim