1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish dilemma

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by DogSoldierChick, May 5, 2014.

1. My 5 year old daughter caught her first fish.... It couldn't have been a pan fish.... Lol. But mommy is a taxidermist so please mount it. Now I know I should say let's wait until you catch a good one but right now since its her first I'm curious if its even possible for me to mount it? I'm thinking its a yellow bass? With the broken stripe pattern and yellow gold look.... Am I wrong? If this was brought to you in your shop as a first fish to be mounted where would you go with it? I'd like to find a good repo for it... I'm not opposed to trying to skin mount it but I've only done one fish and would prefer a form to fit. Freeze dry possibility? Any ideas appreciated...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Is it what is called a wiper, white bass striper mix? I would carve a form and skin mount it.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

And I ..........

And I would mold and cast it.

I don't like mounting small things. lol

:)

Kerby...

4. 100% sure its a Yellow Bass.
    What is the overall length on it. I have one in my freezer I am going to be molding soon. You might get lucky and have it be a match.
    Its a tricky fish to skin mount, but it can be done if you are careful. Scales are loose and pop off easy. Other then that skinmounts are doable, but I would rather mold and cast it.

5. nice looking little fish, your daughter must be thrilled with that. ;)

6. Ill check over all length exact tomorrow. I'm thinking around 8 inches.

She is tickled with it and I have to say its a very pretty fish! Lots of shine and shimmer!

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good to know Jknuth, that it is a yellow bass and about their scales being loose.
    DSC, it sounds like casting may be your best option, I suggested carving a form because I can cast fish heads with little problem but I cannot get whole fish to turn out worth a darn.

8. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

I would probably do a half cast

9. Work out a deal w/ Kerby and have him make a cast.

Nothing better than a child's first fish !!!!!

Just MHO

10. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Definitely a Yellow Bass. One of my buddies actually released what would've been a world record a few years back. We grow 'em big here in our cooling lakes. And, not too many people know this, but w/o question Yellows are one of the best eating fish out there. As long as they're placed on ice immediately after catching. As far as skin mounting goes, it's not impossible. They're not easy of course. Not a big difference between them and small white bass. Of course small whites are not easy to mount either! As Josh mentioned it's very hard to not lose scales. I've never seriously tried the Elmer's Glue method, but if I were this would be the fish to try it on. If you attempt it, skin it out partially frozen and remove in sections like you would a crappie. TLC all the way...

11. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Wait till she catches one of those 3lb Crappies some of your lakes down there are known for...... ;D

12. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Half cast for me.

13. den007

den007 Active Member

Freeze dry the sucker. Galen Getting……Edgewater Taxidermy………..Minnesota.

14. Den - you have the best answer; particularly for a fish that size.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Half cast mount would be quick and easy. I assume you're not talking about a half mold?

16. X2 Kerby Ross

17. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

When my son (3) catches his first fish by himself, (hopefully its not a very long fish so I don't break the bank) I'm sending it to one of the taxidermists whose work I really enjoy; like a Josh K or Timjo, or Dave C, or Brett W, Brian C, or Rich B, or Doug P, etc.; if they'll take it in. Ideally, I'd like to have a custom replica made (or make one myself) and have two copies, one finished by me and another by the other taxidermist. That way, when I'm an empty nester, he'll have my work to hopefully enjoy and I'll have a copy of his fish to enjoy without the need to be critical my own work. I can enjoy the memory, and so can he.

That's my plan for my dilemma.

Best, Scott

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Scott, I like your idea, I do enjoy looking at good taxidermy, no matter who does it. I have a 3 year old as well, I may do that as well.

19. Thanks for all the replys! I'm weighing my options on it and she is already decided she wants to catch a bigger one. Ill still do something with this one though.