1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

new zealand birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by stuffer2000, May 9, 2014.

1. stuffer2000

stuffer2000 New Member

I have a client that is in NZ and has 2 black swans 2 paradise ducks and 2 pukekoes that he wants me to mount for him I was wondering how to go about getting them into the US. I imagine they would have to be skinned and fleshed and salted. I dont know anything about the importing of wildlife. Thanks for any help

2. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Flesh and salt, apply for a NZ export permit from their department of environment/conservation, can take a few days, and then proceed with the usual at your end, ie 3-177 , in through a designated port of US entry and then onto an approved USDA facility,
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/hunting/

3. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

For more information about importing and exporting according to the CITES Appendices and the TIES Act Schedules see permit requirements.

Department of Conservation contacts
    North Island (North of Taupo)
    Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland Office
    Phone: +64 9 307 9279
    Email:
    [email protected]
    Full office details
    North Island (South of Taupo)
    Pōneke / Wellington Office
    Phone: +64 4 472 5821
    Email:
    [email protected]
    Full office details
    South Island
    Ōtautahi / Christchurch Office
    Phone: +64 3 371 3700
    Email:
    [email protected]
    Full office details

4. igor

igor Member

For import birds from Africa I had : 1. Export permit from country of origin . CITES papers if needed. 2. VS import permit . 3. USFW import permit . Had no problem.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. The Waterfowler

The Waterfowler New Member

I've brought birds in from NZ several times. Since NZ isn't a hot country they don't have to be consigned to an Approved Facility, even though I am an AE I've sent several hunters there that brought birds back with no trouble. The Export Permit on all my trips was gotten for me by my outfitters. Simple process and brought back whole birds and unsalted skins in the case of Swans and Turkeys to reduce weight and space. You enter into the U.S. with your 3-177 and declaration and then wait for the TSA/Customs in L.A. to try and figure out the procedure and every time they seem lost trying to do so!