1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spray room

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jsense71, May 9, 2014.

  1. jsense71

    jsense71 New Member

    95
    0
    I have been using a fan in the basement, but the paint fumes are giving me headaches and wife as well. I do not have any windows in the shop room. There are windows a ways away, but I don't think that would help. I was thinking of putting an exhaust fan up to vent out the laundry pipe. Any suggestions?
     
  2. tem

    tem Well-Known Member

    can you move the whole shop to a window? or just paint ware you have a window. not sure if you have a good draft out the dryer vent. you would know that.
     

  3. Mr.T

    Mr.T Active Member

    Move your painting station over to the window. How easy is that.
     
  4. Redfisher

    Redfisher New Member

    306
    0
    DO NOT VENT INTO YOUR Dryer vent!!!!! Big big mistake!!!! Your house will explode!!!!!!!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
     
  5. wctaxidermy1

    wctaxidermy1 Member

    215
    0
    I wouldn't reccomend venting out your dryer vent either. Sterling explain to me what would cause the explosion?
     
  6. Redfisher

    Redfisher New Member

    306
    0
    Well, paint fumes are highly combustable and dryers have either a heating element in them or gas dryer, take ur pic, their both potential fire hazards if mixed with paint fumes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
     
  7. wctaxidermy1

    wctaxidermy1 Member

    215
    0
    Yes the FUMES are he was talking about unhooking the dryer and venting out the pipe with a exhaust fan. Not turning on the dryer to vent it. I still don't recommend it now your saturating lint with paint fume dust. Painting with lacquers in your home is bad news if he has a standing flame pilot water heater or furnace could also explode. Its pretty unlikely because of how concentrated it needs to be to ignite but it could happen.
     
  8. Redfisher

    Redfisher New Member

    306
    0
    I read it right the first time! Nowhere is it mentioned that he is going to disconnect the dryer! Or turn the dryer on to vent it. I read it just fine and only a FOOL would do such a stupid thing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
     
  9. wctaxidermy1

    wctaxidermy1 Member

    215
    0
    I have a actual paint booth with explosion proof fan in my shop. I wouldn't want to expose my family to harmful solvents without a proper exhaust fan. Know what your doing guys read antlermans article about his furnace vent getting covered. Then after fixing that still did not have enough fresh air intake to feed his furnace so it was back drafting thru his water heater vent pulling carbon monoxide into his home. You install an exhaust fan in your basement and can end up with same result without make up or fresh air intake for your gas vented appliances to function properly. I was in HVAC for many years. Or switch to water based.
     
  10. Redfisher

    Redfisher New Member

    306
    0
    Very well said. I myself have 30 yrs in hvac business.


    Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
     
  11. jsense71

    jsense71 New Member

    95
    0
    yeah the moving to a window is the best answer, but my stand is mounted to a work bench. My only access to out side is a 6" pipe to the outside. I'd disconnect the dryer hose and send the fumes outside, not even to the dryer. I figured I could box off the area and vent it out the the 6" pipe.

    I am usually working in the winter so my garage would be too cold.
     
  12. I remember seeing a very good article on how to build a spray booth in either Taxidermy Today or Breakthrough I look for it tomorrow.
     
  13. jsense71

    jsense71 New Member

    95
    0
    scratch that idea. I guess I could of asked the taxidermist I used to go to. I remember smelling strong fumes in his house. He worked out of his basement too. So best best bet is to take the deer off the table mount stand to a new type of stand near window with a fan to push the fumes out or switch to water based paint.
     
  14. jigginjim

    jigginjim Active Member

    I'm switching from waterbase to lacquer, but going to duct spray booth out through window. Also putting in a exhaust fan to exchange air in booth area at the least once every two minutes. 400 cu.ft. booth equals 180 CFM fan.
     
  15. BRTX

    BRTX New Member

    81
    0
    I work in my basement, and had a dryer vent installed for just this reason. I made a spray booth with an explosion proof fan that vents into the dryer vent (this is all that vent is used for). I have plenty of fresh air coming in through an adjustable louver from my garage. I adjust the louvers to allow slightly less air coming in than what is going out, so I can create a small negative pressure to prevent the fumes from exiting my area into the rest of the basement. I can paint all day without any odors leaving the room. Some day I will get my garage sheet rocked and heated.
     
  16. jigginjim

    jigginjim Active Member

    I'll use my garage for big projects, Elk and Moose. Which would be to tall for height of ceiling in my basement.
     
  17. depending on how large of things that you paint and the volume of projects, I would get one of those cinder block size flaps and install one. Thanks to a good friend he made me a metal booth which was then fitted to exhaust through that wall vent. Send me a pm if you want photos of what I am saying. Good luck-John
     
  18. jigginjim

    jigginjim Active Member

    My family were in HAVC, we looked at what I would be doing. Figured things from that, including fresh air intake and heating sources. Heat would be coming from another room during cold weather season, summer months it run a dehumidifier higher than winter months. Idea was to keep 50% humidity.
     
  19. sgsmith

    sgsmith Member

    Well said, I am not in the HVAC business but have 67 years in the common sense end of things.