1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Modified Half Cast Method for Panfish.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, May 9, 2014.

1. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I'm thinking flour slows it down.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Would it be a good idea to add flour? Seems like it could attract insects? Or maybe not?

Btw all the operators at McKenzie are on notice that if you want the Tom Sexton filler it's the WFF. I guess Perry wasn't happy with the grief he got. I laid into him on a voicemail but when he called back I apologized even though he said it was O.K. I said no it's not O.K. to do that and he thanked me. In my old age I'm realizing we don't always know what goes on behind the scenes, or in people's personal lives, and there is enough strife in the world.

Can you imagine how awesome it would be get to the point where nothing bothers you? It would take some incredible self control!

3. McKenzie,have both the WWF and the Tom sexton filler listed,so did I miss something when you said to order the WWF?

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it memorymakertax. I think one has to specify Tom Sexton filler to be certain that that's what you get? I will be mixing them 50/50 as I like the strength of the other stuff but don't like how dark it is.

Here's is Tom Sexton fish filer. Note the WFF. (The 5 after the WFF just means 5 lbs. ) My guess is the W stands for WASCO.

[​IMG]

Here is the other one which some of us got recently in error. Note the FF. (Again the 5 after the FF just means 5 lbs.)

[​IMG]

Note: The FF and WFF are to the right of the bar code. You may have to scroll the photo from right to left.

5. Cecil,

Great post! I have used Tom Sexton fish fill a long time ago and did not like it, it seemed to take forever to dry out and seemed very heavy for a time until it finally was completed dried several weeks later. But I bet I did not stir it up before mixing it. I will make sure I stir up the contains before using it again.

I do have a question: I have an Angel Fish my wife catch while we were on vacation in Florida and was wandering if I could use this method on it? I had talked to Mike Newkirk a while back and he suggested I use the old paper Mache and burlap method. He said he had mounted thousand of Angel Fish using this method. I was thinking I could get a much better shaped fish using your method. The fish is as tall as it is long almost, so this should work on it I would think

Also I was going to use the Borax and water method and soak the skin for a day or so and then soak it in denatured alcohol over night and thought that would be enough to tan it or moth proof and degrease the skin before mounting it. Will this work so well?

Thanks
    Rich

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Rich,

If you can skin it out this method should work fine. I have had panfish completely dry in about three days by using a fan.

7. Cecil,

Thanks for your help on this it is greatly appreciated.

Rich

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Anytime. Start on those brookies yet?

9. Cecil,

Not yet, those are for myself and you know how that goes, last to be done. I was going to use the same process I mentioned on those as well. Do you think I should use a more powerful degreaser on them or soaking them in denatured alcohol for a night would be enough to get the grease out? I will be casting the heads as well. Those things are big, fat, nice looking trout I might add, that is why I wander if they might need more degreasing.

Thanks
    Rich

10. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Cecil.....do I see old age beginning to work on you..lol?

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It's past beginning! In less than three years I'll be a sexagenarian! ::)

12. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

TSFF-
    white dextrine
    borax
    plaster
    hi fiber
    Play with the ratios, you can do it.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Randy. Would be nice to make my own!

14. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Cecil, after you fill the fish, and bring the seam together you have some filler extruded at the seam line. Do u wipe that off immediately? Let it get doughy then remove? Thank You for the tutorial.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Remove immediately. You want your excess removed before the filler sets up. In fact, I will actually carefully pop the fish out of thr plaster impression, when I think the excess has been removed, to make sure the fish is bilaterally symmetrical. If the incision side of the fish is bigger, I will force more filler out of the fish at the seam.

16. Cecil Forget the plaster for making your own fish filler. You need to look at the dry wall powder. I use bead-x you can buy in 30 min 60 min and 90 min drying times here. You want the powder, looks just like plaster. I dont use it for fish filler but use for mache base and rock mix base. It dries similar to what you describe. It has to be mixed just right and gets kinda of a rubber feel to it as it sets. I mix vermiculite and hi fiber with it for one of my rock mixes. You might give it a look.

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks!