1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Soft tan issues

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andrew M, May 10, 2014.

1. So I've been started soft tanning hide. The first one I did was the the Back of a deer. Turned great (little stiff but the leather was great) next I did a black bear. I followed the tanning instructions for the McKenzie tanning system. it tanned up fine but the leather oil didn't take AT ALL. I degreased it really well. Why would this happen???? oh also its been drying for about a month!

Thanks,

Andrew

2. wait.... there should be two pictures.. why did pictures show up on my phone but not here??

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Did you do thorough degreasing?

4. i degreased both very well. i especially made sure that the bear was degreased knowing and seeing how oily he was. sorry about the pictures... I'm new here and haven't figured it out yet.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I guess I have a reading comprehension problem because now I see where you said that you degreased really well. I thought it might be a degreasing issue, however, it seems that it isn't. What type of oil?

6. i used the Mckenzie Leather oil. also i solved the raccoon problem. i needed to shave it down a little more around the tail and butt. but i shaved the bear down to the hair follicles. so i know thats not the issue.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I'm sorry, but I have no experience with those products and I have only tanned one bear. That was enough to get me to send all bears to a tannery. I hope some one on here can help you with this.

8. hey no problem! ill keep looking around!

9. soft tan problems

is there anyone else that might know the problem here??