1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paintable silicone to attach fins

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1fish2fish, May 10, 2014.

1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any reason not to in a pinch use paintable silicone to attach fins (and epoxy sculpt the transition)?
    Best, Scott

2. Time, adhesion, I don't know. Never tried it but 5 minute epoxy from just about anywhere works pretty good I don't know why not use it. Super glue (depending on type of fin, real/fake ext..) works pretty good to attach as well. Clear Paste, Fin Magic, Bon Tite, lots of stuff out there that works pretty much flawlessly.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Silicone does a decent job adhering to itself but not worth a darn adhering to anything else. I'm not sure putting a solid apoxie over a flexible substrate is the best choice.

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Why not just attach them with Bondo and then finish the job with epoxy? JL

5. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

yeah I agree that the time set would be a factor w silicone........I will use super glue on small fins but prefer using hot glue to attach and then magic smooth to lock it in solid after it cures. The hot glue will let you put a fin in any postion you want while you hold for the seconds it takes to secure it in place.
    You can also use pins set in the fin butt then in the body to make a stronger bond but usually that's overkill unless it's a really bigazz fish.....lol.

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I always attach with super glue then use either magic sculpt or apoxy, both of which are paintable.

7. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

In a pinch I would use Brenda's acrylic sculpting liquid and powder. First using super glue with a dusting of the same acrylic powder to secure the fin. For anyone that is not familiar with these products, they are used to fill the gap in acrylic nails as the real nail grows. Tough stuff, toughest I have found. Sets quick and comes in different colors. I do not just use it in a "pinch" , I use it all the time. The super glue/acrylic powder combo makes the strongest glue I have ever used. Just need to be careful as all super glues are different. I have had some react in an unfriendly manner when mixed with the powder. Not sure if it is the glue or the powder that makes the difference.

PB

8. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I was concerned about a flexible surface under the epoxy sculpt, but figured there is so little used it might not matter much. Figured I'd see if anyone had tried it before.

I like the strong adhesion of fin magic, but have heard about yellowing through paint. I don't know what the variables are/were in those cases. I like the hot glue method as Brian mentioned second best, but my gun is finicky. I don't keep 5min epoxy around, so paintable silicone popped into my head as something I have in the shop.

Appreciate all the responses. Always good to consult the think tank.

Best, Scott

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Pescado...haven't made "Old Stump Blower" in a couple of years. My grape guy lost all his vines to a mold infection. Keep Brenda in her leathers...lol JL