1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mule Deer lip curl form?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ada2453, May 10, 2014.

1. I've looked at all my catalogs and I can't find a Mule Deer form that is doing a lip curl. Does anyone know if someone makes one, or do you just have to use a Whitetail form and make it work?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think Research Mannikins sells a change out head of a mule deer lip curling. If it wasn't Research, it was one of the others, I know for a fact that one of them does.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Lips are lips. Whitetail will work just fine.

4. I found the change out head in the Research mannikin's catalog! Don't know how I missed that. Thank you!

5. Look at Trufitt.. They just came out with one that looks good.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Truefit and Research are pretty much the same for a lot of stuff. I think it's the same head. I did a mule deer with the white tail nose and chin from McKenzie and it came out good.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Same here Tanglewood. The anatomy is no different on the species. After all, the muley is simply a cross between the whitetail and blacktail I'm told.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have a blacktail/ mule deer biology book, nearly four inches thick, that is used in actual classes for some entity and they suggest the same thing. How you get a mule deer from whitetails, which live every where, and blacktails, which live only along the pacific coast area is beyond me. Not counting the underside, blacktails have wide dark colored tails. Whitetails have wide, long, brown tails. How do you you get a skinny all white (except the tip) tail from a cross of the former two? The blacktails in my area actually, anatomy of a shoulder mount wise, fit a whitetail dimensions more accurately. THey have longer and slimmer muzzles than the catalogs offer. Thinner, less blocky heads with less preorbital swell than any catalog offers. In my area a 2.5 year old with a 16" neck will have an eye to nose equal to a 19" neck blacktail in the Research or McKenzie catalogs.