1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The rarest mammal ever to come into my shop?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Capercaillie, May 12, 2014.

1. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Davidbelgium

Davidbelgium New Member

Beside the fact that I find that strange, I really like the way you mounted the horse!

3. Haha, awesome! Very rare indeed.

4. nickq83

nickq83 Member

That is a fine looking unicorn

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Is that it's real horn or an artificial one. I ask because all the unicorns I get in have a more curved one than the one you did. It might be the area harvested depends on straight vs curved. ;D You did an awesome job on that one.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That really is a nice job, but like Tanglewood, your horn detracts from the beauty of the work. It tends to luck like a skinny dunces cap on that beautiful mount. Why not create one with some epoxy putty and a dowel. The spiral horned antelopes - even the black buck- are great references.

7. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Very cool!

8. love it!!

9. I can't believe they didn't let it grow up a bit. Bad unicorn management in my book. Doubt that thing would even make Pope & Young, lol.
    Nice mount, I may have to do one of those next time the neighbors horse gets into one of my food plots. Wonder if the police would believe me when I tell them that's not there horse, did theirs have a horn, lol.

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Love everything but the party hat horn...... I give it an 8 3/4 on a scale of 10!!

11. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

I see what you mean by the horn in the pictures, I don't know if its the flash but it does look better in the flesh, id only ever seen them with a narwhal tusk and wanted something different. Ive made a mould of it and will try different colours and textures because it only screws in with a M6 thread, thanks for the comments and if anyone has some good reference photos of unicorns horns I may need them.

12. LOL, after seeing this post I started thinking about how I would do it. I think if you were to carve the basic spike shape out of high density foam, insert a metal rod then use sculpting epoxy over the foam you could get whatever look you wanted.
    Another idea I think would look really cool would be to find something the shape you want, like the horn you have for example, and cast it. Then pour a clear casting resin and just coat the sides a few times and leave the inside fairly hollow. Then paint the outside very lightly how you would like it to look and put a light bulb on the inside.

13. Samson

Samson New Member

Capercaillie I may have a unicorn reference. I mounted my unicorn with a bleached blackbock horn.
    Greetings, Karin

Attached Files:

14. Shore make a good towel rack ;D

15. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Looks like a narwhal skewered it up the ..... ???

16. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Here ya go! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Unicorns-Have-Known-Robert-Vavra/dp/0688022030

(I actually have a copy of this book. It was a gift, and the photography is absolutely gorgeous - even if I still remain just a little bit skeptical.)

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Looking at Nancy's book, I believe you nailed that look.

18. quest

quest Member

Utah
    I think it looks good.

19. Samson

Samson New Member

That's funny Nancy! I have that Book at home ;D
    Karin

20. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

For me,it was the wolverine that csame in.