1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Caulk Injection?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kaiada, May 18, 2014.

1. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

I have been looking for a way to reduce shrinkage in small mammal feet. I had heard that filling the feet with critter clay was the best way to go, but given the fact I was working on small rats I was unable to get all of the meat out of the toes. The clay did work well for the rest of the foot though, and I plan to use that technique for slightly larger animals.
    In the bird forums, some claim that using that clear latex/silicone caulk or Elmers's glue works well for plumping feet. Has anyone tried this on mammals? Will injecting denatured alcohol beforehand be enough for preservation? (Can it compare to formeldahyde?) I'm willing to do trial and error of course, but if I can avoid rotting feet I'd be grateful.
    Thanks for all your help.

2. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

Any advice?

3. YEs, clay, and learn to work it. leave the bones in and clay over them. Also use hide paste.

4. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

Clay over the bones? Did you mean caulk? I don't think I understand what you're saying...

5. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member