1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #17

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JBird, May 18, 2014.

1. JBird

JBird Member

Getting an early start since I was so late with last weeks. I'm starting off with a very special piece that I took close to a month to put together - I've always wanted to do one of these in a courtship pose. So I dissasembled it and did it one piece at a time - starting with the head which took over two weeks - largest flying bird in the world - I've done one with wings out - this one was pinioned so was a perfect specimen for courtship - HUGE freaking birds - simply amazing to work with - and one of my very favorites -

[​IMG]

African spotted eagle owl -
    [​IMG]

these were a hot steaming mess and hardly worth the effort to mount - really a challenge to find even in moderately decent specimen on these - normally they would have just been sold to feather collectors but I was strong armed into mounting them - the only reason I'm posting them was because there is a fascinating difference in the coloration of them - I'm not familiar enough with the species to know if there are subspecies or if its a gender thing -

[​IMG]

2. What is the largest flying bird in the world;s name ?Where is it from?

3. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

Birdstuffer-I was just about to ask the same thing.

All those look awesome. My favorite would be #3 what kind of bird is that also. Sorry my knowledge of birds other than ducks and geese is very little.

4. sidekick

sidekick New Member

You should take a pic with something small to give the bustard some prospective.

5. FF/Birdman

FF/Birdman Well-Known Member

JBird my friend glad to have you hosting. Beautiful works. Looks like we are off to another great week. I'll throw in my 2 cents. This is a piece I just completed for my younger brother and long time hunting partner. Take care, Paul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Gorgeous dead mounts! I always love the extra touches with the box and shells.

7. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Wow Jeff, fantastic cori bustard, superb eagle owl and the maned pigeons are a really spot for my eyes. I wonder, how you will surprise us next.
    Paul, I love deadmounts but never did one, I think it is time to do when I see your great mounts, hope they will come out nearly good,
    Rainer

8. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Jbird thanks for hosting again your work is amazing I have never seen any of those birds before, Paul i really like the dead mount great job!

9. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

10. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's hard to follow you guys but this is what I've got. First base, and the blue wing was also a first I'm still learning and receiving as much advice as possible

11. JBird

JBird Member

great start to the week - thank you for all the very kind comments - the first large bird is a Kori Bustard - their primaries are as long as your arm and the shaft as thick as your thumb - crazy big birds - I will try to get a size reference posted. The green birds are called Nicobar Pigeons - they really are stunning birds - I hope to someday get a decent specimen - as I said - a real challenge. Gone through quite a few of them and never a really exceptional specimen ;o) you'd think these things would have the decency to die in better condition ;D

Birdman - BEAUTIFUL - love the mounts, the base, the composition - everything - great piece - thank you for posting it ;o)

OFF - is that a Goshawk? great action in the "deathgrip" piece with the shovelor going eye to eye in its final moments before becoming lunch ;o) very nicely done - those Gos's are KILLING MACHINES - i've lost my fair share of pigeons to them in the past - hard to begrudge them when you watch them in action though - amazing and lethal. You're very lucky to work with such birds -

Wilcox - first bluewing and base huh? DANG !!! I'll say one thing for certain - you have grooming down to an art - GORGEOUSLY SMOOTH - lately everyone's firsts are leaps and bounds ahead of my 100th :eek: will be fun to see where taxidermy goes in the next few generations - you should be quite proud of your piece. Again - thank you for posting/sharing -

keep em coming guys ;o)

12. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Here is an old Reeves but the only one I have ever mounted. Mean Bast***ds

[​IMG]

My favorite Woodie pair to date.

[​IMG]

13. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

That Woody pair. Oh my goodness. Unbelievable. That is what I hope to achieve. I have two pair in the freezer.

14. Love those woodies and that habitat! Looks beautiful.

15. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Nice birds as always ...... My contribution is a first for me. First time I have got my hands on one any way. This is an immature female , shot bird , and a little pinny ... guy insisted I put a nice male plume on. But I can scratch Mt. Quail off my species list.

Attached Files:

16. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

Those are some fine looking wood ducks. Beautiful job Wolfgang

17. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

One for this week.[​IMG]

18. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very nice work tim

19. kyle916

kyle916 New Member