1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ermin (weasel) skin

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Chuck Bigelow, Oct 10, 2006.

1. What would you use to do a "do it yourself" home tanning job on a small animal skin such as a weasel??? Thanks, Chuck

2. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Well, :-X not to sound like a smart alek. ::) but the same chemical processes apply to the leather of a weasel that do to the leather of a zebra or bear.
    :eek:

3. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

Something that small you can use dry preservative to mount the Ermin. What do you have in mind?

4. Chuck Bigelow

Chuck Bigelow New Member

Not to sound like an idiot, but I have never done any tanning on my own. I always have sent stuff to a tannery. I have never mounted small stuff like this, but I want to start. This will be for my son. I am open to any suggestions or help. I guess you could say I am tanning illiterate. Thanks, Chuck.

5. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

HI, Why not try one of the many Tanning kits on hte market today? They will give you lot's a basic knowledge for a good start off in your new hobbie.
    ;)

6. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Borax or Dry Preservative. Thats what I use on squirrels and they come out real nice.
    Borax is in the laundry section at the store. Cant get much easier or cheaper than that :)

7. Chuck Bigelow

Chuck Bigelow New Member

What about the dang smell....

8. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

Chuck, After you have the weasel skinned out you have to make sure you wash your skin real good. I even degrease them. Then you can either tumble dry or use a hair dryer to get the hair and skin fairly dry. Then you can start using the DP by rubbing into the skin. What ever meat you didn't get off the skin the DP will help you get most off. Make sure the skin is fairly dry before applying the DP or it will get clumpy on you. Good Luck, Jim
    Washing will get the smell out.

9. Chuck Bigelow

Chuck Bigelow New Member

Thanks for the info Jim....

10. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Be aware that borax and or DP (dry preserve) are not considered "tans". They are preservatives, they do not "tan a hide".. 8)