1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A thought on soap left in bone

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by CA Trapper, May 20, 2014.

1. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

Here's an example of something I ran in to...

A year or two ago I degreased a 4 month old lamb skull. When I was finished with the skull it looked perfectly white and clean. Now, a couple years later the entire skull is a uniform shade of yellow. It's yellow all over. I did not use any sealer yet the bone yellowed.

What are the chances of soap left in the bone turning it another color? I know, probably a long shot.

When a skull is done, do any of you soak the skull in plain water to remove any trapped soap or is it a non issue?

2. It's probably grease not soap

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Is this your skull or a customers? Is it anywhere near a fireplace or someone that smokes? Grease would be in spots, not all over. Could be leftover detergent but I can't say I've ever seen this. I do a hot water rinse and soak for a while and then drop the warmed skull into peroxide. After a peroxide soak, I then drop it into hot water again. The hot water doesn't do anything really than just make a neat reaction with the peroxide. Though the hot water and then peroxide soak should also dissipate any leftover soap.

4. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

This is a skull I gave my girlfriend. I told her I'd clean it more but she's happy with it.

I'll try the peroxide soak after my final degreasing though. I can definitely tell when there's soap still in the bone when it's dropped in peroxide.

5. AFTER WHITENING we always immerse (2-3 times or however many times it takes for the leaching of fat to stop) our skulls in hot tap water (hottest tap water we can get out of the faucet). You will be amazed at how much fat is removed using this soak, we let the skulls soak in the hot water until it has cooled down.......buzzi

6. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

So you say 2-3 times. Is that 2-3 times into peroxide then hot water or 2-3 times in plain hot two water?