1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competition

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by animalxii, Jun 19, 2007.

1. animalxii

animalxii New Member

Hey everyone,
    Ive never entered a competition before and i think i'd like to try. I was wondering if this mount is worth entering?
    what do you guys think???

2. animalxii

animalxii New Member

I have more pics, just cant seem to post more than one.

3. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Yes. It is a good idea to enter, or even just attend. The first thing I noticed was that you arm pit is way off.

4. animalxii

animalxii New Member

the arm looks too high up right? i think it is because my form was bigger than it should have been.

5. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

It deffinitely is worth entering. You then can see your score sheet and get a critique from the judge. You will learn so much by entering or attending a competition. Good luck

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Yes that is a very good mount to take to a show, you really are not compeating until you are chasing ribbons in the advanced levels. That is a good one to take for a critique. For get the word "competition" Go for the critique. Next year you can compeat.

7. animalxii

animalxii New Member

Thanks guys,
    I can't wait to go to my first "Critique" Aug. 2 New york, is anyone else going to be there?

8. AndyH

AndyH New Member

I wish I could go! Not to enter a mount, but maybe some carvings... Oh well, maybe next year...

9. mike g

mike g Active Member

If you are willing to learn, don't ever think it is not worthy of taking. Even the best in the room learns something even if they don't admit it.

10. animalxii

animalxii New Member

why can't you go??

I'll always be willing to learn thats what you have to do to be the best, and i want to be the best ;)

11. Mr. T had talked me into going to the Michigan Competition and I tell you what that was an awesome experiance and learned a ton. Not only were the seminars very informative but the critiques for the judges just can't be beat both in the Competition world and the commercial world. I now feel better about my taxidermy ability and the quality of mount my customers would be recieving.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I now feel better about my taxidermy ability and the quality of mount my customers would be recieving.

That says a bunch Chris! Money worth spent wasn't it.

13. AndyH

AndyH New Member

Being my age, I can't drive, and I'm not going to make somebody go through all the trouble just to drive me. Also, I believe it costs money? Lots of money?!

14. AndyH

AndyH New Member

And by the way, nice deer! I would take it to the show, and if you want to get better, practice, and use your reference!

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Andy H, it's not that exspencive, the show would run anywhere between $50 to $100. The cost is in lodging if you have to drive a distance to the show and need to stay somewhere.

16. animalxii

animalxii New Member

Andy H,
    Where do you live? I live near Rochester, if your close i could probably hook you up with a ride. i remember not being able to drive..no fun! Also are you a member to the taxidermy association of new york? i think thats all you need which is $35.

17. These competitions are definitely money well spent.