1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Customers not picking up mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Justin2011, May 21, 2014.

1. Justin2011

Justin2011 New Member

I've been doing taxidermy for a couple years now. Last year I didn't have any problems with people coming to pick up their mounts within a couple days after I called them they were there to pick up their mounts. But this year I've had a few customers that aren't as good about coming to pick up their stuff. I've been stuck with a couple deer mounts and two 38" fish mounts for about 3 months now. I called them all probably 4 times now and still haven't been to the shop to pick them up. Just wondering what all you other taxidermist do when this happens. Thank You!!

2. disabled

disabled Active Member

I call the them and after 30 days or so i send them a certified letter stating to them that your mount is done and if not picked up within a certain time (about 10 days) that there mount can/and will be sold for the balance due!!!!! and add in the ceriftied letter fee
    They will come and get it most of the time hope that helps send me an email i can chat more about it john

3. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

When the economy tanks as it is these days, the excitement folks have about picking up there mounts compared to when they drop them off fades. Due in part to the amount of time it takes us to get their mounts done. I have had a heck of a time with multiple calls to get things picked up just as it sounds like you have. Some are great others make it very frustrating to deal with. Over all good people going through some tuff times I think. Good Luck ;)

4. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Always make sure you take in a deposit to cover yourself in times like these.Me,I get a 50% deposit.

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

If you don`t have a contract ; get one , make life easier . :)

6. T2LTaxidermy

T2LTaxidermy Member

I have a contract that is signed by the client and also collect 50% deposit which most of the time covers my supplies etc...
    In my work order the contract is at the bottom where they sign. Everything is in there about the 30 days from be notified about picking up finished mounts, storage fees, and also the mount being sold. I read it to them and explain before they sign so there is no misunderstanding.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I wait until they come and get it, when they can afford it. If it sets for two years, it can set some more. You never know what hard times the customer may have fallen on, and the mount suddenly isn't as important as other bills they may have. If they want to level with me, I will work with them and take payments. If they disappear off the face of the Earth, then that is a different story. But I would exhaust all attempts at getting in contact with them before selling their trophies, even if it takes a couple of years.

8. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

You're nicer than I thought T.

9. swt

swt Member

just went through it to. I sent an email saying I was going to file a civil suit and they would also have to pay all court cost. phone rang right after email was sent. they set up payments and are now paying,better than nothing I guess!

10. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I'm with T , I don't threaten or get nasty. 15 years I've been stuck with a couple deer mounts and a turkey. Most of the time they will show up.
    I figure the cost of being an ass can be more expensive in the long run than a couple hundred bucks lost on a mount.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I call them once a month until they pick it up. I have only had tis happen 4 times in five years. One guy told me that he forgot I called the first time and rushed down to give me money and pick it up. Another guy came in and picked it up when he brought his next deer in. After he payed for his previous deer, I made him pay in full for the deer he had brought in before I'd mount it. He payed full price up front. One lady brought sheep skins in to be tanned. WHen they were ready I called once a week a month and then once a month for several months, no answer. Then one day she showed up with the cash and apologized over and over. She had to go to texas to care for her mother until she died of cancer. The lady is a friend of my mothers so I know she is telling the truth. When you go to care for your dying mom, calling you taxidermist isn't much of a priority. One guy has still his antlers on my wall from 1990. They only time I trusted some one with no deposit has his skull on my wall for the last 4 years. Every month he says he''ll try to come up with the money. The skull looks cool in my show room so Oh well.

12. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

one contract
    one phone call
    one registered letter of notice
    no collection,,
    then sell it.
    we are far too soft, try telling USFWS that you are aware your licence has expired but your waiting for payment money for all the jobs hanging on the wall,

13. diggitydave1

diggitydave1 Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

Yeah i am doing the 50% up front and starting to use the contract also. I seen it happen to the guy who was doing all my stuff before I learned taxidermy, to many times.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You should not run your business hand to mouth, or picked up mount to mouth.

15. 50% period not 50% down no taxidermy.

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Even though I don't need 50% down to do the job, I get 50% down for this reason. The guys mount sits on my wall, all the parts and a good portion of the labor are covered in the 50%. If I had dozens not picked up, it might be different but the few times it has happened I had, and have, plenty of room to hold them until a solution is arrived at.

17. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    per my contract , 14 days then 10% storage fees up to 30 days, sold after 30 days, this is a business not charity. I would prefer "those" customers put someone else out of business.

18. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Yup

19. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

In almost twenty years I have been stuck with one deer and one gray fox. I didn't have a gray fox in my showroom area but I do now. I got $250.00 down and I think the guy passed away. The deer came out nice and it is also on my wall. You can't sell most game animals mounted or otherwise in N.J. No antlers Period. For the most part most of my customers come in a week after I call to say their mount in completed and some take their time. Had a surprise customer call to pic up his antler mount after many excuses and not showing, came by and paid and dropped off a Corsican to mount and another picked up his Mallard thats been done since January. If you mount it they will come, eventually.

20. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Over 17 yrs I've had 3 clients that gave me the run around.

1 had paid 1/2 on a shoulder mount boar and i never heard back from him until 2 years later when I said pay your balance & storage fee's and i'll let it go. Never heard from him again and a few people have asked to buy it but its grown on me so i kept it.

Another guy with a deer shoulder mount he shot with grand PA, never returned my calls, letters but sent a text saying a 'relative' would pick it up. After 2 years, (yeah i know, i'm soft), I finally decided to sell it for the balance due. The first time I've had to do that and I felt so bad in doing so. Not 3 weeks later he turns up to get it!
    I reminded him of the terms of the contract he signed and he left. His mother called telling me she would go to court, what a monster i was etc and i told her " good, please take this to court so i can get all the storage fee's for the past 2 and a bit years and the balance due". Never heard from her again.

The last guy, paid for his mount, (ls deer) in full at drop off however, since he had not decided on 2 feet on ground or an 'air' mount, the base cost would be decided later. "fine".
    Send him mail to pay for said base and work for 'air' mount that he eventually wanted and.......after 3/4 months notice he's finally agreed to paid up and is collecting tomorrow. (will never do that again - let customer decide later on a base).

I gotta toughen up lol.