1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Business Week Article About Taxidermy Movie Props

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ken Edwards, May 22, 2014.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Here is an interesting article about Allis Markham, a California taxidermist whose primary market is making movie props for Hollywood. It is amusingly ironic to find that the demand for taxidermy animals is on the rise thanks to the efforts of PeTA, whose policies have made having live animals on the set so expensive that high-end taxidermy is considered an economical alternative.

[​IMG]

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-22/allis-markham-hollywood-taxidermys-rising-star

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I thought of Catherine Coan and her Canary Suicide taxidermy. It's really a strange contradiction in what I think of Southern California and taxidermy. Good to see its not some old crusty guy doing this. I think women have the ability to do incredible intricate work better than men. All I have to do is look at how a woman's handwriting is compared to a man's. there's just a natural born neatness there. I imagine spending all that time doing makeup and hair is good training too.
    Very good article Ken.

3. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Wow, find a need and fill it right? Key to a successful business. Good for her

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I like the prices she is charging.

5. really cool article Ken.

6. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

That is a great idea, thought about it myself.

I just finished decorating a set for a short film shot in Seattle about a taxidermist with a Hitchcock plot, of course. Basically set up most of my studio in a gutted store front for two weeks. Didn't pay real well but was able to make a buck and provide a typical shop look with no harm done to any of my props!

Most of us get calls for props... I think you would need a warehouse full of stuff and a taxidermist "on demand" to alter and put together mounts...

Jeff

7. Really cool article!

8. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Here is a new video interview with Allis Markham on Bloomberg TV:

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/meet-hollywood-taxidermy-s-rising-star-F2lbMPWsQiaih0uIIIfFWw.html

9. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

Anyone ever wonder who did/does the ducks for Alfac? Our own Patrick Rummans from Montana. If you get a chance to visit with him sometime, the story of how he got the job to do them is quite interesting.
    I'm not sure if he is the one doing them today but he did the originals for several years.

10. Awesome article, good for her!

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I got a job to reproduce an Osprey Hawk for a commercial shoot for a Florida power company. They were building Osprey nests on their power poles and needed the bird to have a moving head to look at the camera as it panned past. Made a good profit on that one...and would like others to do. JL

12. That would b a pretty cool job to land JL!

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!