1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Getting behind as a taxidermist

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by IAtaxi, May 23, 2014.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

One huge snowball effect when your tannery puts the nice guy on hold then you in return look like a total lazy ass to your custemors. Just finishing my 2012 deer. Only 6 mnths later then I quoted. Really took the fun right out of this profession for me. All over the place picking and choosing whos complaining the most. Hope to catch up. Now to salt my 2013 capes while needing to mount 5 ducks a bobcat, a otter, a mink and 3 fish in the next 2 weeks. This part of my job I hate.

Anyone else been there?

2. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Don't even get me started. . . I've been play catch up since 2011.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Yup, and that's exactly the reason I do an in-house tan or DP on deer. No way am I going to fall that far behind. We live in a "now" generation. People want their stuff now, not 2 years from now.

4. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Like joeym said I tan in house so that wont happen. I want to sleep at night.

5. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

I would recommend a new tannery if there affecting your turnaround. It sucks to get behind but the tannery excuse doesn't sit to sell with customers when they know you decide who to send them to. A year is one thing but two is a longtime people get pretty pissed.

6. I think it's part of the business. You just try to do the best you can and don't let it be a re-accuring situation. At least your worrying about it. I hate the taxi's that don't really give a chit.

7. Get another tannery! Start doing more of your own tanning, too many tanneries doing a great job and good prices to get tied up with one, although I do most of my tanning, I use several depending on the mount and time of year.
    DC

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Still waiting for two tanneries. Sent first batch early December, nothing yet, second end of January two different tanneries, one pile of hides back, other still a no go.

9. Got my 2012 stuff back in late 2013 but got my 2013 stuff to the tannery right away (not one hit the freezer) and got all of those back Jan-Feb. Still yet to mount any mammals from 2013 tough as the late start on the 2012 stuff got me behind on everything.
    Pretty sad when you work 7 days a week almost every week and people call you on a Sunday all pissed like your just off enjoying yourself. One even gave me grief about going to the UTA show pretty much implying that all I do is go to shows and don't do my customer work. Was my first days off since Christmas, guess they must work 7 days a week to. I understand why they get frustrated but I wish they knew however bugged about the wait they are any taxidermist that cares is probably just as frustrated X10

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

IAtaxi, the way I see it is, watch how close you quote those return times, and also, I never liked putting raw capes in the freezer. First off, Id rather split em quick and get them salted so I dont have to handle them twice, and another thing, it increases the chances of a loss while slowly freezing or slowly thawing.

I do think its great that youre aware of it and not taking it lightly. I once got so far behind I didnt think Id ever recover. Im still behind on a few last things, but I feel the same as you, that urgency to not get behind again.

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

cant have too much to do if yur on here bitching.not starting an arguement but if alot of you guys spent as much time working as ya did on here youd all be caught up.quitting taxidermy last yr was the best thing ive ever did in my life.good luck on your returns.if ou need a great tannery try wilderness in manorville ny bob is the man and fast.

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Anyone who knows Bob knows NOT to reccomend him, haha. Ask him, he will tell you that. Hes good though, for sure.

13. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

You'll always be behind! it's just the nature of the business..

14. I'm always behind, like others say, it's the nature of the business.

15. gab

gab Active Member

as far as taxidermists that don't give a chit,they all start out giving a chit,just the grind of running a business beats them down

16. tem

tem Well-Known Member

did I here some one say SLAXADERMY. :-X