1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about Eiders

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by birdstuffer, May 23, 2014.

1. What is the difference between a Common Eider, a Pacific Eider and an American Eider? I also got in 2 Black Ducks that are totally different.The small one is from New Zealand and the huge one is from somewhere around the great lakes. Hard to order bodies when there are so many names...

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

You can either wrap or measure and order. I keep forms on hand and just go match a form to the body in hand or if nothing is right I wrap one. Pacific is a bit bigger and the American, I have no clue but would guess it to be a common.

3. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    here is a king, pacific, and Atlantic also known as a common eider or American. It seems within each species they vary greatly in form size and even sex.

As for the black ducks it sounds like you have a American black duck from the great lakes/east coast which would be mallard in size. In NZ they have what is known as the pacific black duck which has a different color bill and speculum as for size I'm not sure as I have not had one in hand.

Best thing to do is wrap or me being a hobbiest I skin a few at a time take measurement and then match up no matter the listed species and order.

4. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

Yea anything really oddball I have wrapped or will do a carcass cast also. I'm not very proficient at wrapping so a carcass cast is quicker FOR ME.

5. HUYE

HUYE Member

The common eider encompasses pacific, atlantic, northern, european and faroe. American eider could be referring to pacific or atlantic. There is size differences in all subspecies and the pacific race is substantially larger than the rest. As mentioned before there can be size variances even within the specific races. The pacific black duck is also called pacific grey duck. The altantic black as mentioned can be the size of a mallard, but some of the northern ones can be quite a bit larger. Hope you find the bodies you need. :)

6. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Cheri, perhaps this will help

http://thedowneastduckhunter.blogspot.com/2008/10/four-subspecies-of-common-eider-in.html

7. X2. I wrap most of mine.

8. Thanks everyone! :D

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

also the Hudson eider