1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mears or 6500??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ds21, May 25, 2014.

1. ds21

ds21 New Member

I took this 10pt this past season which was 254lb live weight. It had a very big neck I did not measure it my mistake. My question is I'm going with a RT semi-sneak. Which form do most of you recommend to accent the big neck and the full face this deer had a Mears form or the Mckenz. 6500?

Attached Files:

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Why not Ohio tax form . :D

3. Diesel_19

Diesel_19 New Member

Mears

4. Bill LaCoe

Bill LaCoe New Member

What Verne said!!!!!

5. buckman170

buckman170 Member

If your looking to showcase the "big neck look" go with the mears. The 6500 is also a nice form, but tends to have a narrower muzzle. Good luck!

6. brian89

brian89 Member

Mears or Ots

7. Justin2011

Justin2011 New Member

Definitely Ohio Taxidermy Supply! or the 6900 Series McKenzie forms are good full faced forms too

8. ds21

ds21 New Member

Well, my taxidermist likes to use Mckenzie forms. I figured since Mears is now a Mckenzie line I would like to choose between the 2. I really want to stay away from the 6900 it looks to fake, with the steroid looking neck, I don't like that form at all. I may inquire about the OTS line. I was thinking the Mears may look more in proportion of this deer.

9. ds21

ds21 New Member

I am trying to showcase the big neck but a natural big neck. Not a form like the 6900 with all the muscle behind the ear. When I saw this deer live it had a very large neck but it was smooth transition from head to chest. Looking for a form that will give that look.

10. Diesel_19

Diesel_19 New Member

I think mears has the best mature looking head...

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

In that case Mears SUO form will give you what you want made for big framed deer and your deer will look large , but is a semi-upright not a semi sneak . :)

12. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Large antlered buck is a 7 1/2 X 20 , mears SUO . [​IMG]

13. I would either go with an OTA with the Alpha nose or a 6900 on that one. I like the 6500 but the muzzle tends to be a little on the thin side as mentioned earlier except for some reason a couple of them (I believe over 8" e2n) seem to be thicker.
    If you order the 6900 around an inch bigger in the neck than your deer and carve it down (taking most if not all off the overdone bulges on the upper sides of the neck) then it will give you a much better big neck look than out of the box. I have been doing that on all the 6900s I do since I got a complaint about the big bump on the neck. Here is one I did the way I just described [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. buckman170

buckman170 Member

Nice deer Bryce, love looking at your work!

15. Diesel_19

Diesel_19 New Member

[​IMG]

16. Diesel_19

Diesel_19 New Member

That's a mears semi sneak.. Only pic I got on my phone

17. Thanks Buckman and Diesel I assume that is also a Mears form? Very nice mount and looks like a mature deer. Just not like our northern mature deer. Granted I have seen some done on a Mears form that did have that thick neck and face like our deer up here.
    Another option would be Matuska's forms. They also have a nice thick muzzle but I like to build them up under the head with clay as they are not typically very deep and I don't think they usually come with that real meaty looking neck look your probably looking for and as you stated your taxidermist likes to order Mckenzie. Too bad they don't sell a 6900 change out head, that on a 6500 would probably be the ticket but if your taxidermist orders a form slightly on the big side and carves down the sides, as mentioned earlier, I think you will like the results.

18. rockbass33

rockbass33 New Member

OTS is my pick!

19. He is not a taxidermist. Sounds like his taxidermist pretty much exclusively orders thru McKenzie so he is asking about stuff they sell.

20. ds21

ds21 New Member

That is correct gameovertaxi. Thanks