1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Favorite African forms

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Cowtown guy, May 26, 2014.

1. Hello folks.
    I was lucky enough to harvest 8 critters on safari a few weeks ago. I was wondering what you guys feel are your favorite forms for these species. I would prefer to do some pedestals. Maybe stacking a few animals on the same pedestal.

I harvested...
    Springbok
    Blesbok
    Impala
    Red Hartebeest
    A very big Common Duiker
    Mtn Reedbuck
    Nyala
    and finally a Zebra.
    The Zebra is getting done as a flatskin so no form will be required there. I was thinking of pairing the Impala and the Blesbok together. The Springbok, Mtn Reedbuck and the Duiker in another mount and the other 2 as individuals. The Nyala as a wall pedestal and the Hartebeest as either a pedestal or regular shoulder mount.

The capes are plenty long. I worked with the skinner to ensure that there was nothing cut short. Some are almost cut back to the hip. He knew I was thinking of pedestal mounts and wanted to make sure I was happy.

Thoughts??? What have the guys here that have done African stuff found to be good forms to work with? Anything to stay away from? Any help would be appreciated.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cutting those hides "long" may end up being a very expensive error on your part. Aside from the extra shipping costs, tanneries aren't that keen on extra long hides and will usually "penalize" you by pricing it much higher.

I use all McKenzie forms. No supplier uses a better, more consistent foam than they do and when you're making alterations (you WILL make alterations on 90% of Africrap), that foam is consisten and allows easier work.

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

X2 on McKenzie. There are very few of their manikins that I flat out don't like. I'm a small fish in the taxidermy pond, so I like to keep my supplies together so I can get my discount, and Mckenzie has great all around products.

4. Where did you hunt in Africa?Also you will pay more for those3 extra long cuts but if you are ok with that then go for it.I also just got back from Africa,I hunted with Limcroma Safaris,and harvested 14 animals.

5. I was more concerned with them not being cut short as I have heard that is a big problem from a lot of skinners over there.

I was planning on trimming to length here before tanning.

Thanks for the replies.

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

You won't be able to trim them BEFORE tanning, when they get here they will be hard as plywood. You'll have to instruct your tannery on how you want them cut.

7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I would go ahead and get it all tanned if you want pedestal mounts. With some sewing, you could use it to cover the backs of the pedestal mounts.

McKenzie forms are your safest forms to order. Avoid the precision line within McKenzie. They can work, but they need more tweaking than the standard McKenzie.

8. Looks like a rookie mistake by me then. Crap! There I was thinking outside the box and I turned it into a circle. Lol

Live and learn I suppose. I had just heard horror stories of capes being cut too short from quite a few guys and figured I'd try and ensure I'd have enough to work with.