1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preventing Pull Around Antler Burrs During Drying

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bonecreektaxidermy, May 27, 2014.

1. Amazing, that would come in more handy than most superpowers!!

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Rick when you told us how you put the hide back around the antlers I know there was more to it then you were letting on.
    Ralph

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Rick Carter: The taxidermy whisperer.

4. Next on A&E

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Magic Smooth and a few nails until it sets. Not original but it works.

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

glue and I start my stitching in front of antler (or do you say horn ;D ) and work it to the back.

7. Tahrhunter

Tahrhunter www.taxidermy.co.nz

Hi
    Thought I might add something different to the debate.
    1. Start with a clean skull, glues will not work if the skull is greasy!

2. I paint with good quality primer around the bone of the burr, this gives good surface for glue to adhere and as the color I use matches antler tone, if it does move slightly at least no White bone will show, even long after the mount is painted.

3. Use long stitch for first stitch.

4. Use filler type adhesive, I use water compatible builders glue (liquid nails) which dispenses easier in gun. This makes up deficit in circumference from fleshing and is tidy. Before using an adhesive for the first time I Always test adhesives, wet leather on bone, foam, plaster etc.

5. Use concrete nails to hold in place, you will never bend these! Never! And they stay sharp for a number of uses.

6. Monitor burrs as they dry just as you would ear, eyes or any other part of the mount.

I hope this advise helps.

8. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Hilte makes a two part epoxie for gluing bolts in concrete. Steel workers use it on new construction. I found a couple tubes that had been used half up and discarded. I think I'll try it on my next one. If it will hold a bolt in concrete while some one is tightening a nut on that bolt it's got to be some hard chit. If I mess up I'll have to get a jackhammer to chizzle it loose. We're not gonna stop till we figure out the beat way to stop this skin pulling crap. LOL!

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

You could always hire a mean looking strong guy to just stand next to the mount and pinch the skin up to each antler periodically, too. Or, simply build up the skull to replace whats missing, so the skin fits to begin with. Ah, what do I know... :eek:

10. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

If you need nails to hold hide in place, use taxidermy toe nails,they are sharp and hardened. Then pull after things are dry andset.

11. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Bill I AM a mean looking strong guy,...or a strong looking mean guy,...one or the other, can't remember. That's the method I use. I've gotten so good at it I don't even use stitches. Glue it, pinch it together and dare it too move.