1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how to kill a bird

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rookie541, May 27, 2014.

1. I have friend who gave me a bird to practice with, problem he is still alive pheasant. What is the best way to kill it to make the best mount? I was thinking to just shoot it. :eek:

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Electrocute it. Go to the SEARCH block andcask the question. There are dozens of methods, but I fund none any quicker with zero damage than electrocuting them. The method was used by Stefan Savides.

3. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

You can also smother them by grasping the chest firmly under the wings. Very little feather loss will occur if you hold them down firmly while doing this they will expire rather quickly.

4. George

Just for giggles, I'm going to post the method here again. I can't find it in that silly search engine half the time anyway.

1. Buy a cheap extension from Lowes or Home Depot. Buy 2 alligator clips while you're there and you're done unless you want to install one of those toggle in-line switches.

2. Cut off the FEMALE end of the cord and split the leads about 2 feet back on the cord. Strip the ends and install the alligator clips.

3. Grab your bird and hold it's wings so it doesn't flap. Clip one alligator clip into the soft membrane where the upper and lower beaks join. Clip the other on the soft sphincter around the anus.

4. PLUG THE CORD IN.

Ten seconds is the most you'll need but 5 or 6 will usually do. The bird will let out one squawk as the air leaves it's lungs, the feathers draw down tight, and the muscles constrict. IT WILL NOT MOVE. Unplug the cord. (NO YOU WILL NOT GET SHOCKED. Electricity takes the path of least resistance and from the beak of the bird to its butt is that path. The feathers insulate you, but I still wouldn't stand bare footed in a mud puddle when I did it.)

Now you can skin the bird and eat it too. No messy injections in the brain, not thrashing around, no wet feathers, no tainted meat. It is also the most humane as death is instantaneous.

5. Thanks for your help
    I never can find anything in the search

6. oskare

oskare Iceland

make it read this thread :eek:

7. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

What George said. I like to roll the bird up in a towel first. ( more insulation)

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Basically the same thing, except that I don't hold the birds in my hand. (I use this method for my turkeys and I can't support one of them with one arm. It simply ain't gonna happen.)

I tie soft rags around their legs, hook the rags on stiff wire hooks and then hang the birds from an overhead beam. They relax and hang there, looking puzzled.
    Then I apply the alligator clips and plug in the cord for 10 seconds. It's all over.

The only thing is, if you intend to mount the bird, be careful and let it rest for about an hour if you intend to skin it before you freeze it. Right after they are shocked it's super-easy to pluck out their feathers.
    That's great if you want to eat it but not so good for taxidermy. Once the bird rests for a while the feathers will tighten up and become a lot harder to remove.

9. I've been doing it just like George has for years.It's quick and I hold them upside down by the legs and have never been shocked. I will "zap" them a couple to 3 times to make sure they are dead.I have had a chukar and an old hen chicken come alive in my car on the way home!!!! :eek:

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

a large hatpin to the brain is very quick less hastle and less dangerous....I quit electrocuting birds when my cousin died of electrocution........nothing to mess with

11. George

Byrdman, a pin to the brain is cruelty and, in and of itself won't kill a bird. Is you're scared if electricity, you should educate yourself. Killing birds this way is instantaneous and what we've described is no more dangerous than turning in a table lamp or using an electric drill or saw.

12. We either smother (squeeze) or we have a 'killing bar" which is a 1" piece of steel square stock on a base/hinge. Set up like a paper cutter. You press down on the neck and break it just like you would if you were cutting off the head. Generally it doesn't break the skin or damage feathers. Ours works up to about peacock sized birds. Works good when we are on farm, and portable.

13. Agreed. Electricity is much more humane.

14. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

turkeyshooter is right.
    A pinch under the wings on( pheasants) is all you need it is very very fast.
    Hooking clips to a beak and butt of a pheasant without feather loss is very hard just getting them out of net is hard enough.
    By the time you have 1 hooked up I will have 5 down and 1 skinned

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A funny but true story about squeezing a pheasant, I went to a game farm to buy a nice hen or two, the owner grabbed the one I wanted and did exactly that. When he thought she was done he handed her to me, I set her on the seat of my truck and went back to a different pen to pick another one. When I came back to the truck the first dead bird was trying like hell to get out of my truck. I say light em up.

16. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of these methods. someone said that one way is cruelty?? please, have you ever shot a bird?! do they die instantly every time? NO.

the question was how to kill a bird. people are offering up different options. personally I wouldn't do the electrocution way. there are many ways to skin a cat... or I guess... kill a bird. no matter what way you end up choosing, losing a few feathers is not a big deal. best of luck dude.

17. George

KYLE now that little diatribe is the biggest piece of ship I've heard short of PETA. Certainly all the birds I shoot don't die instantly , but I damned sure break their necks as quickly as I can get them. I'm not mounting them or worrying about damaging feathers.o EUTHANIZING a captive reared bird has no analogy to a wild shot bird. Killing a bird HUMANELY is nit done by crushing a birds ribcage so it can drown in its on blood, or holding the beak and nostrils while it suffocated, or in shoving a needle through its skull and injecting its brain with some fluid until the brain bursts. Since "human" is the core word of "humane", imagine any one of those things being done to YOU. If you don't want to hold the bird, Nancy gave you an alternative.

18. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

GEORGE name in all caps as you put it... PETA... REALLY??... You make me laugh. Done.

19. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

just to add my 2 cents worth has anyone thought of carbin monoxide (poison) from a diesel car exhaust pipe,guys from work do this to the feral pigeons they kill for work.they did say that if you do this to the birds make shore the cars engine is cold other wise the birds throats will burn,just a suggestion guys dont shoot me down.

20. George

wa, I've probably killed 100 or more pheasants this way. Bobwhite, chukar, and domestic chickens are not counted in that number and are probably double that. I have never done a turkey like Nancy, but there's no reason it, too, wouldn't work. I don't know what you're basing the opinion on that it's not humane, but it has to be far fetched when compared to the other crap I've seen suggested. As far as killing a deer, shooting them through the ribcage is a helluva lot more humane than shooting them in the ass or through the neck where the windpipe and esophogus is severed and they die a lingering death from infection. If I'm culling deer, I take a snipers shot with a brain target.

Kyle, PETA is correct. They use jughead logic just like you did in comparing hunting to slaughter houses.

Mick, CO will work but it tends to be a long process requiring jury rigging an exaust and hose to an enclosed area.

Now I'll make a wager here. I'd bet NONE of the guys arguing this one have EVER tried the method I describe. If you had, you wouldn't be making such dumb remarks about it. Chicken slaughter houses here on Delmarva slaughter MILLIONS of chickens each and every day. Chickens are hung on a clasper hook by one leg. The heads are slowly pulled down as they proceed through the line by stainless bars. At the end of the bar, there is an ELECTRICAL severing device which electrocutes the bird to prevent it flopping and severs the head allowing it to bleed out before proceeding. Now only a numbnuts would think that these slaughter houses don't come under intense PETA inspections to insure the birds are dispatched "humanely".