1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how to kill a bird

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rookie541, May 27, 2014.

1. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

chirp

2. I have killed countless birds with my "zapper" as I call it. It is quick and I never have had an feathers fall out.I did try it once on a peacock and it didn't go so well...they are too big and it took too long.I wouldn't suggest it on anything that size.Using carbon monoxide would put that all over the feathers and you might breath in a few fumes yourself. :p

3. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Your right george it would to slow,a mate of mine who worked at a chicken factory used the electrocuting method in water,the birds went into a room whitch has a blue light in the room ,it supposed to carm them down .being a ex butcher we were told that any animal killed under stress would not bleed out as good and the mussel tissue can have blood clots in it.i have seen this a couple times.only saying this because not shore if he wants to eat the bird.

4. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I've done a couple of turkeys with CO. I put them in a cardboard box just big enough to fit them in, so they can't flap around. I then stick an old vacuum hose into the box, the other end to the tailpipe of my truck. They pass right out in about 5 seconds and die quickly after that. Remember, birds are very sensetive to anything in the air. That's why canaries were used in mines as an early warning system. It has worked well for me.

5. foxyhawky

foxyhawky Dont Blame Me, Blame the Vicodin

Hell
    ok killin a bird may be the simplest thing, depending on what you want, meat, feathers, or skin. Im not really good at taxidermy (still learning) but i kill birds like a boss ;). we work on a farm so i know a few good techniques that make it simple. Drowning is one way, just hold it head underwater(no-brainer), you can use a broomstick to crush the windpipe, break its neck, and you could also strangle it. Thats how you do it without damaging the skin.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

George Ive had osha 30 training..I use electrical tools of all kinds at work with ext cords,temp turtles and generators.....think safety people...don't be a dumbass and messwith something you have no control over...ive seen half a dozen men electrocuted on the job and its not anything to mess with.keep your head out of your *ss and be safe....btw a large pin to the head kills in about 15 seconds....just like a bullet to the George...I mean brain

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Byrdman, why don't we just get this out in the open. We don't like each other. I've often wondered how you found your way out of the birth canal. I spent 10 years with OSHA mandates and I figured out that it you need to paint vise jaws orange so someone wouldn't get hurt by a pinchpoint, those people should stay away from anything smarter than a rock. You seem to fit that bill and probably should avoid electrictity and scalpel blades. When you start putting your birds up against Stefan Savides, I'll start to listen to anything you have to say. Just watch out for those rocks. Some of them are much sharper than you are.

8. troy

troy Member

PA
    I have to chime in here as to what I found out. I gassed a few pheasants by getting a small box and cutting a hole in it the size of my trucks exhaust pipe. (Diesel) Put the bird in it, closed it up and put it on the exhaust pipe. After a minute, checked the bird and he was still alive and kicking. Taped the box shut and tried again. Still no luck! Now I put the box on the pipe and revved the engine for a little and let it on there for about 2 minutes. When I looked it the box he actually looked like he was enjoying it and, in fact, looked like he wanted another hit!! :eek: Seriously though, I was really upset cuz I truly didn't want him to suffer but I was at a loss. I couldn't figure out why he wasn't dead! (the way this forum said he would be) My brother-in-law had the same truck as I did except his was a gas motor. I put the box over his tailpipe and in about 2 seconds the bird stopped moving and was dead. Did 3 more with his truck and they all died in 2-4 seconds. The gassing worked great, it just didn't seem to work with the diesel exhaust. One last thing, I didn't eat them ( so it could be considered a bit of a waste) and for that reason I went to the electrocution method. Works good and you can still eat them.

9. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how this discussion pans out.

Perhaps it will be similar to the gassing threads where "everyone" was on the gas wagon and then after a few explosions and people having health issues it appears there are less and less people gassing. At least I think I am reading more people getting away from the gassing but I may be wrong.

Maybe after a couple of people get electrocuted/shocked others will jump off that bandwagon too.
    "Everyone" argues that they do it in a safe manner and there is no way they will get hurt. Until that one time they cut corners being in a rush and guess what happens?

Good luck everyone. I hope I don't read about your accident . . .

10. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

A friend of mine has a son and he is a top auto mechanic. He says the new cars don't produce Carbon monoxide any more. So you can't kill yourself or your bird if your car is too new lol.

11. foxyhawky

foxyhawky Dont Blame Me, Blame the Vicodin

Hell
    god man! calm down. i mean your right, but thats mean. :(

12. Randy Miller

So because you use electricity to kill a bird, you can put your birds up against Savides? Stop being a bully.

13. George

Randy, I guess you never bothered to read the entire posting.............AGAIN! The method of humanely euthanizing birds was first posted by Stefan Savides. So unless you build a reputation similar to Stefan's then you wouldn't be someone I'd go looking for to get quality information. You also heard Tony Finazzo and Nancy Crocker echoing the same message. I dare say few, IF ANY of you come close to those two. The only advantage I can enjoy is that I'm not bashful about saying what I say. I'm a nobody, but that makes me just like most or you and I wouldn't go to any of you for advice when I had access to the knowlege of Tony and Nancy.

Foxy, I don't recognize your name but I sense you haven't been around long enough to see the pattern I've seen when dealing with Byrdman on nearly ANY subject.

14. Randy Miller

Nice try George, but you invoked the name of another person (whom you no doubt admire, nothing wrong there) as if it carries weight in correecting someone wjho does not share your viewpoint, and attempting to belittle them into submitting to your viewpoint by it. Shame. Be nice. And don't try your fallback position of "I tolerate fools badly". We all put up with you.

15. byrdman

George we have told you before to stay off the bird forum......lol....and I would put my birds up against Stefan any day.....that doesn't prove anything...I took your advice and have been "gass free" for over 18 months and for that I thank you....but giving advice on electricity .....tsk tsk tsk......someone is going to get zapped...I would think after all the dangers of coleman fuel you drummed into us that you would be more careful with such advice...and I wouldn't say I don't like you...you are very entertaining.....but anyone who really believes in bigfoot has a questionable character.......at best

16. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

Honestly I don't understand why we all have to get mad and fight about how to kill a bird and yes this is directed at you George. It's all personal preference in my opinion. Let byrdman do it his way and you do it your way. George you remind me of my dad and me and him are always butting heads since we want it our way all the time. I learned to shut my mouth though. I really wish this site was more peaceful and we could just admire each other's work.

George and byrdman I agree you guys will both give excellent advice. But sometimes argue over the dumbest stuff.

My method would either be a quick prick in the back of the skull or carbon monoxide

17. For what it's worth, while I was cutting up a drop cord my little girl asked what I was doing so I explained. She had a puzzled look and asked me when did hunters start using light cord to hunt birds? ??? She said the last bird you killed you used a gun. Why not practice the way you are going to take the bird in? Outsmarted by a thirteen year old, I shoot the bird. She said "you would have killed yourself you can't even open a can without getting hurt" ::)

18. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I guess that there will always be pros and cons to every method.
    As I said earlier, I don't hold a bird while I electrocute it. Ever.
    It is suspended form an overhead beam, which is a simple upside-down "U" made from 2x4s that are stabilized with gussets and outriggers. It all comes apart for storage. Now please, tell me where the danger is? I am scared of electricity to a ridiculous degree but this setup doesn't even make me nervous.

I generally use chloroform for dispatching small birds because:
    a) I am able to get it from a chemical supply, and
    b) it was the preferred methods of humane euthanasia that was listed in an avian veterinary handbook that I used to own.

I tried using the extra-heavy needle to the brain method a few times, although I was using them to inject ice water - not just to stab.
    I was up to about the third or fourth pheasant when I came across one rooster that was going to have no part of being restrained and poked.
    He flinched so strongly that he made me slip, and the result was that I injected ice water (that was NOT clean!) into the knuckle of my finger. It was barely a fraction of a cc, but the reaction was almost instant. My finger swelled up to the size of a hot dog and I made a beeline for the closest emergency room. (The staff thought it was hilarious and I had to repeat the story several times.)
    I suspect that getting stabbed with a regular needle might not be quite so scary, but it would still hurt.

The one and only time I tried to kill a bird with car exhaust was a disaster. The poor thing probably died from heat stroke, not carbon monoxide; it took what seemed like forever and the bird STUNK to high heaven due to the exhaust fumes. Never again.

I've never sustained any injuries from plugging in an electrical cord or from putting a chloroform-dampened piece of tissue paper into an airtight container with a small bird (or several.)

19. George

Kinglet you just don't get it, do you. You're as bad ad Randy in reading comprehension. I simply gave my method and suddenly birdbrainsvehove never used the method start chirping like constipated canary's about how "dangerous" electricity is. These care probably the same guys who stand at an electric stove in bare feet or dig bread out of a toaster with a fork. If electricity scares you, wring their friggin necks if you like. Just don't make a dumbass remark about a method you've never tried.

20. byrdman

I used to electrocute with a t pin wired to the ends of the cord and pinned one pin into each wing at the wrist and then plugged it in...it took a bit of time for bird to die....maybe the mouth to anus is a more direct path..(George would know).never did I hold the bird though.........some guys laid out a large pc of chicken wire that was wired to 120 and when 2 geese stepped on wire the plugged it in.....you can guess what happened....when I stick a bird you don't just stick it in...you have to "scramble" the brain with the pin........birds die very quickly this way...tried injecting brain with coleman,denatured etc but left a swelled head.