1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Being scammed by Gary Weir (GW6111) in Colorado

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by HowlingCoyoteArchery, May 27, 2014.

1. HowlingCoyoteArchery

HowlingCoyoteArchery New Member

I hate to post this...but was forced to. Everyone needs to be aware and to stay away from Nature's Art Taxidermy here in Montrose, CO. This guy moved here a short time ago from Texas. If you look up his name on the net (one thing I should have done before doing business with him) you will soon find that he is not spoken of highly on the taxidermy talk forums due to numerous shady deals around the country. He may be a good taxidermist but is a lousy business man. I gave this clown my Pope & Young black bear hide and $600 up front to complete a bear rug for me back in September, 2013. In December of last year he texted me wanting another $300 to help him get some hides back from the tannery and he would call my $1200 bill paid in full. I almost fell for it and took $300 to his shop on West Main St. here in Montrose only to find out it was now vacant and he never told me. Needless to say, I took the money back to the bank and that caused Mr. Gary Weir to get upset. So upset that he basically refused to complete my rug and I now have to take him to small claims court. This guy is a fraud and has been doing this to others in the Montrose area as well as Texas and around the country. He told me he wanted a "new start" in Montrose and this is what he does. I will continue to let everyone know about this guy as no one should have to go through this especially on a trophy bear. I'll get another one this fall and will take it to a reputable taxidermist here in the area. PLEASE pass this around to others you know who may be looking for a taxidermist. This guy has lied over and over in texts and in person about what and how he was going to get this done. None of it is true and it only serves to buy him time. I am also trying to verify something else I heard through the Montrose County Jail. Please stay away from this business. If he treats people in the hunting and taxidermist industry, imagine what he will do to the regular Joe? I run a archery pro shop and full 3D range out here and I am now in the process of letting everyone know.

2. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

No surprises here.. good olll Gary Weir .. I'm sure one day some good oll boy will not let that slide and GARY will need lots of dental work if he keeps this BS up.. He has been running from his customers for years , just Google his name ..

3. HowlingCoyoteArchery

Lets just hope people actually do look his name up prior to doing business with him. I finally did get my hide back after 9 months!!! I'm sure he wanted me to forget about it so he could sell it and make some money off of me. I am still out my $600 though. Another taxi here in town stepped up to help me out when she heard what I was going through with Weir. I hope others post here so a newer thread is started for the search engines to pick up on.

4. jeff c

jeff c Member

ny
    Whats bad is there are some on here that think what he is doing is ok

5. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

Stop complaining and just write it off. Oh, and get a life.

6. jeff c

jeff c Member

ny
    Lightsout is one of those that thinks its ok, they must be friends

7. HowlingCoyoteArchery

So I assume "lightsout" does business like Gary Weir OR thinks its OK to be scammed and ripped off by taxidermists like him and others around the country. What else would explain the bone-headed reply? That would be no different than me taking your money for a special order bow and then deciding that I will just keep the money and hope you go away or just "write it off" and quit complaining. REALLY!!? You've got to be kidding me. I just finished contacting the IRS as well on that guy. He has ripped off enough people that have had to "write it off" so I will stop when I ruin his business in this area and hopefully anywhere else he decides to move.

8. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

LOL...I'm with you guys on this one. I was just quoting a Gary Weir supporter.

9. jeff c

jeff c Member

ny
    LOL- understand

10. HowlingCoyoteArchery

Ahhh, OK, but quotes should be in "quotations" so we know.....thanks

11. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

Yeah my bad. Hope it work's out for you.

12. GW6111

GW6111 New Member

Scott Johnston is a liar, he was the one that demanded his bear back! And if he continues this harassment, I will file a law suit on him for slander!!! I know I'm a long ways from perfect, and have made many mistakes, but he demanded his bear back. U guys commenting on here, I have taken care of u, and u guys need to get a life, and leave me alone. Surely u have better things to do!!!! I'm just behind on my work, surely that's understandable!!

13. GW6111

GW6111 New Member

The only thing I'm guilty of is not getting your bear done, on the time I told u I was. I'm sure other taxidermists can relate. This is harassment, and I'm not going to tolerate it, from you!

14. GW6111

GW6111 New Member

Dave, and Jeff, both of u guys I've taken care of, and Dave I've even done more business with u, without problems. So why are u guys continuing to do this to me? What right as a taxidermists do we have?? I did not complete his work on a timeline!!! He demanded his bear back which is his right!! He is harassing and slandering my name everywhere. So taxidermists out there!!! What can I do to stop this?? I'm asking for your advice?

15. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

1. Integrity. Deal straight on a consistent basis with people, they will be quick to defend you when accused by a malcontent.

2. Honest communication. Things like moving without prior notification to all customers whom you are holding hides/horns for causes people to fear being scammed. If you can't do something, be honest. Don't make false claims to stall for time. It will always come around to bite you.

3. Take some business classes. You can find free help through the small business association in your area. I'm going to assume that the majority of the problems you are having with the folks on these threads are cash flow problems. Things like giving $300 discounts to get your hides from the tannery is like using a pawn shop for a bank. A SURE way to continued money problems. Get someone to help you cone up with a plan, then be DILIGENT to execute it.

16. GW6111

GW6111 New Member

Thank you Jared, for the words. You are so right in many ways, I'm trying to be a stand up guy, and do the right thing, but being falsely accused of something is not right. Yes, I did give dates, which I did not meet, but I tried in every way to finish this bear, at a very good price to the customer. He wasn't having any of it, but continues to destroy what little reputation Im trying to hang on.

17. wetthereel

wetthereel Member

ttt