1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Survivor buck project.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by huntnut78, May 28, 2014.

1. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

This buck had a pretty cool backstory. It was shot once by my customer the previous year with a bow, the shot was basically straight down below the stand. The arrow entered and exited on same side of the spine. It was the bucks right side, only getting one lung. They trailed for several hours and over a mile only to run out of blood. The hunter was pretty upset. The buck disappeared for several weeks, only to show back up on trail camera late season. He made it through the winter and looked perfectly healthy at the end of the next summer. That fall he was again shot by the landowners son. The shot was in the right side and he got approximately six inches of penetration, he caught the back of the shoulder blade and it was a longer shot, hence the shallow penetration. the buck took off like nothing was wrong and they only found a few specks of muscle blood. A few weeks go by and my customer sees him chasing a doe through the timber. The buck ends up chasing the doe into bow range presenting my customer with a broadside shot on his left side. He made a perfect shot this time. Crazy thing is he said it dropped like he was shot with a rifle and was dead in seconds. When they field dressed him his right lung was completely shriveled up and black, about the size of an orange. So he was shot three times in the vitals by two different people over two years. These animals never cease to amaze me with their toughness and desire to live. The customer brought me what was left of one shed they found along with two of the recovered arrows. He wanted them incorporated into the mount. This is what I came up with. I am pretty satisfied with how this one turned out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Nice ; thank`s for sharing . :)

3. cool story and nice mount!!

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Heck yeah.....nice presentation. But he looks kind of funny just floating around in mid air. Is he an angel buck by chance? Might explain why he was so hard to bring down. ;)

5. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

what an awesome mount brotha...I really like that and you did him justice! everything looks top notch to me!

6. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Nice looking mount and a great story. They are a tough animal to bring down if not shot right.....and go down so fast with a well placed arrow.

7. Whitetailfreak84

Whitetailfreak84 New Member

Very nice mount and story huntnut . Good thing they didn't want you to incorporate the black lung ;D

8. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Not buying it. Lung is lung. Customewrs are so often FOS.

9. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Oh I don't know Randy, doesn't seem like that big of a stretch to me. I get plenty of bull-crappers through here but this customer is as stand up as they come. He works in the medical field as well. He is not a lung surgeon, but he is no dummy either. Does spinal hardware surgeries. I think what happened is the first shot injured his lung severely enough that it atrophied and turned to a ball of scar tissue, but wasn't severe enough to kill him. The second shot on the same side just carried the broad head into a void where the lung used to be. The third shot hammered his one healthy lung. Hence the rapid expiration. I have personally single lunged a big buck only to have them live through it. I have seen whitetails survive with bigger handicaps. Guess it could all just be a story as well.

10. I shot this one in 2011. It had 6 inches of arrow and the broadhead in it. The broadhead was right in one lung which was shriveled up and black. Another time I rattled in a big 10 point right under my tree. Drove an arrow in right next to the spine and single lunged it. The arrow was stuck in the ground so a complete pass thru. Followed the blood trail for 2 miles and it never even bedded down. My buddy shot it a week later from the same tree during shotgun season. I was there when he gutted it out. My arrow had went thru one lung. Same thing. It was all black looking. A big mature buck is a whole different animal.

Bruce

Attached Files:

11. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

That is a cool looking buck Bruce!

12. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Enjoy these stories ; keep them coming . ;D

13. realdeer

realdeer New Member

Deer are amazing! They can and do live with one lung. Seen it several times over 40 years of hunting them in illinois. People can live with one lung and so can deer.

14. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Beautiful mount Huntnut.

Best, Steve

15. I sent this on to all of my "experienced, good bowhunter" buddies ages 68 to 38. very interesting & explains a few non recovered animals we have had over the last 49 years of my bowhunting!!
    It does defy the training I had as an EMT in 1978 about something called "spontaneous pnuemothorax (sp?)"

16. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Nice buck, Bruce. I suppose it's possible. I once lost a deer shot with a foster slug, found buckets of blood and pieces of lung, trail went bout 80-100yds then just vanished. I guess that's why I keep deer hunting; my motto is "anything's possible"!!

17. Here's the shaft and broadhead from the buck in the pic I posted. I guess it is closer to 4 inches than 6. Guy thing I guess. ;D

Bruce

Attached Files:

18. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Nice job!

19. Whitetailfreak84

Whitetailfreak84 New Member

A big mature buck is a whole different animal. Bucknut I couldn't agree more. I ve been trying to tell a buddy of mine for yrs that . Maybe I should forward this thread to him :eek: I ve lost my share to these warrior bucks . Anyone who is a whitetail freak and spends a lot of time in the woods has lost a mature buck or two , if not they haven't been hunting long :D Nice buck as well Bucknut

20. SWIFFY

SWIFFY Member

Just beautiful as always! I love that form too!