1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler Staining

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by QBD, May 28, 2014.

1. Saw a couple of threads about antler refinishing and also antler repair so I thought I would share a before and after of a refinish job. Whether it is touching up burrs, completely re-doing a set of antlers or repairing broken tines/beams, I use acrylic paints. Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Raw Sienna and Van Dyck Brown are the primary colors I use. I mix with water in small amounts to get the consistency I want. I also intermix colors to get shades in between.

Once I get them colored the way I want them, I either brush on a thin coat of olive oil or a 50/50 mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil to give them some sheen. If they are badly weathered, I may do a couple of coats of oil depending on how the antlers soak it up.

I think these are the same pictures that were posted from photobucket before they messed up the sandbox.

Before:
    IM000049-2.jpg

After:
    IM000180.jpg

IM000189.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Micah Howards and pir^2h like this.
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Looks very nice and natural.

pir^2h likes this.

3. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Ya, for sure those look nice!

4. Clark Fox

Clark Fox New Member

Do you primer antlers before painting?

5. hoytarcher

hoytarcher New Member

Iowa
    Is there anyway to get the pics updated? All I am seeing is a red X and I would love to see the before and after

6. Sea Wolf

QBD is still active on here. The pictures are broken because Photobucket is holding them for ransom. Send him a PM/Conversation and ask if he can edit the original post. Chances are, he still has the original pictures in a file somewhere and can edit the spots where they are and get the pictures back. Pictures can now be put in a folder on here called "media" or, like I do, host them on postimage.org for free and use links.

The 50/50 mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil is like night and day on horns and antlers. I support the skull upside down so any drips do not fall on the skull. It makes spots that you can't get out.

7. hoytarcher

hoytarcher New Member

Iowa
    Thank you seawolf!!!!

8. I think I got the same pictures reposted in the original post. When photobucket went ransom mode, I downloaded all of my PB albums before I deteted my PB account so I am pretty sure these were the correct pics for this post.

9. Sea Wolf

Thanks for fixing. I slowly have been doing the same thing as I spot posts that are still messed up. I also took back my pics from PB and told them to take a walk.