1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How deep does mold grow on clay?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 126whitetail, May 29, 2014.

1. I have critter clay for doing the clay work around the eyes, however I have large 15 to 20 pound block of just regular clay from Hobby Lobby for ear butts.

Anyway... the regular clay grew quite a bit of mold and I was wondering if I could just take off the surface of block that has mold and salvage the middle core of the block. Or does mold grow "into" the clay?

I don't mind throwing out some of the clay, as I don't want to deal with the mold, plus I got the clay block for a really good price.

Thank You

2. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

It's just on the surface. I just scrape it off, roll it in little pills and use it as an antibiotic...LOL...just kiddding on that part. You could mist it with a bactericide spray to see if that inhibits mold growth.

3. Thank You, I don't really have any bactericide.

I might just scrape off an inch or two on the surface and store it in a new bag.

Thanks Again.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    mold is a fungus not a bacteria. Try a fungicide. Lysol claims to be both I believe.

5. This has happened to be before too - is it just dampness that causes it?

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Inari, moisture is part of the equation, but not all. Clay is organic, add moisture and temps above freezing with little air movement and you have a mold factory. Store clay in freezer or at least the fridge to slow the growth of fungus.

7. Will keep it in the fridge from now on, thanks!

8. I ended up cutting some fresh critter clay into small chunks and freezing it.

Thanks for everyone's input.