1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small Animal Soft Tan Kit?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Kaiada, May 29, 2014.

1. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

I am looking for a dry tanning kit that has everything including the pickle (I know I will need to get the salt myself) that would work well for small animals (particularly small domestics, working with rodents now). Something that has good flexibility, so that it would work for both wallhangers or mounting.

This will be my first shot at tanning, so I will need a kit with full instructions, but luckily they all seem to have them. Any tips/tricks will be much appreciated.

Thank you for all your help.

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Your a young lady so I'm betting you have facebook. Look up Tru bond there and they have tutorials and lots of info. Nice bunch of folks so if you have a question about there products actually pick up the phone and call them. They will take the time to make sure your successful using Trubond

3. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

Thanks for the advice duxdown. I had seen their page before but didn't find much, but read all the way through it this time. I did some more research and decided that Trubond should work, I found some others who use it for LS pelts. I still do have a few questions about tanning that doesn't only apply to Trubond, though-

Do you have to turn the ears on something so small to get them tanned right? Usually you would paint the inside like with a deer cape, but with something like a squirrel I don't know if it would be possible...would painting the outside work?

Would something with very thin skin, like a rabbit or rat, need to be shaved? How about degreased?

How far would you skin out the toes? Does it have to be all the way to the claw?

Lastly, again, slippage. Stop-rot after skinning? Can I still soak the skins in denatured alcohol, or will that disrupt the tan/pickle?

Thanks again!

4. duxdown

duxdown New Member

On the ears. Just clean the buts good and pickle and paint tan on. Then card as they dry. On the toes go as far as you possibly can! No don't use DA just skin and into the pickle if your gonna trubond. Actually most on things like rats and squirrels just DP the skin. But I still prefer to pickle a day or so but that's just me.

5. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

Re: Small Animal Dry Tan Kit?

So the tan/pickle will keep the hair in? (Provided I don't handle the skin much before tanning, of course.)

Found answer on another thread, thanks.