1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old subject...new rock mix question

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by sidekick, May 30, 2014.

1. sidekick

sidekick New Member

I know there's lots of different rock mixes and different ways to do it... My question is... Can you substitute Durham's water putty for dextrin? I've tried finding out what the active ingredients are in the stuff, but it's not on the container and not on their web site... or completely substitute it for both dextrin and plaster of paris? I still need the vermeculite for structure and texture. I can't find dextrin locally and I don't want to have to pay for shipping...water putty is cheap and accessable.

2. I simply use plaster and vermiculite with a little paint mixed in..as its drying I rub some dirt on it and then touch up with a mister bottle with reds and browns

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Dextrin is easy to make its simply baked corn starch

4. http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/dextrin.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EVpIOHF8Y4

There's a little discrepancy in temps and times... but for rocks, I'm sure it would work either way.

5. I use powder grout from Lowe's to make my rocks. It comes in all colors and can be sanded or not. No mixing a bunch of different stuff and you don't have to paint it, but you can if you want to. Just form your rocks out of foam and mix powder grout with water and mix to a peanut butter thickness. Rub it in foam pretty good, once it starts to stick good you can add more to make it thicker. Does take a couple days to dry. After it dries paint or seal with grout sealer. looks just like a real rock. Gary

6. Durham Rock Putty is a high density plaster, aka Dental plaster. It DOES NOT HAVE DEXTRIN IN IT.

Joe Combs has the best price on yellow dextrin.