1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mold rlease

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by tlittler, May 31, 2014.

1. tlittler

tlittler New Member

Dont have any. Can you use baby powder?

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Mold release on what type of mold and what are you using to make your cast?

On silicone molds I do not use any mold release.

On bondo molds I use car wax as a mold release.

Kerby...

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

On silicone molds I still use a release. I use synlube available through the taxidermy supply companies. On fiberglass I use synlube or car wax. On plaster molds I seal with a polyurethane or shellac spray then use car wax.

4. tlittler

tlittler New Member

It was silicone Gi-1100 and 3030 for the molding material. I didn't use anything for a release and all went well,lt Took two of us to pull it apart, just the mouth interior was holding us up but it finally came apart and with great detail and the mold was not damaged.
    Thanks

5. The reason many don't use a mold release is they want to paint it later. If you've used a release agent, you'll have to wash the release from you part before painting and WASH IT WELL. If any residual release is still on the part, your paint won't stick well.

However, I have many customers who still will use release on silicone just to help parts pull easier and prolong the life of their tool. It all depends on the user. We also sell a release called "Silicone mold release" and it's available in a spray can.

6. You can dust molds with baby powder and yes it does act as a release on silicone molds. It mainly helps break surface tension in the mold to aid in the release of air bubbles during the pour.