1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail fawn question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Aqhforever, Jun 1, 2014.

1. I'm being asked to mount a couple whitetail fawns from a breeder. I've only handled one fawn and it was about a week old. These two were 2 weeks premature.

How much luck would one have mounting these?
    I'm assuming wrapped bodies or carcass casting as they are only couple lbs each.

Main question is how successful would one be in making decent mounts on these??

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Done dozens of them. Used McKenzie forms on all of them . Had them from premature to 6 months. McKenzie has them all.

3. Awesome, wasn't sure how well the premies held up. Reading some other fawn topics has been helpful. These are only 2-3lbs each!

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

either in skinning or after they are tanned just don't pull to hard on the skin....slippage can happen just from finger or thumb pressure because they are delicate

5. In one thread I read of not turning the ears until after tanning. I only saw this mentioned once. Does this reduce chance of slippage. My first fawn slipped badly on the ears so this is a major concern of mine.

6. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Did a preemie years ago. They are delicate and like everyone said, be gentile. Wear gloves while skinning to keep heat transfer from your hands to a minimum. When I did mine, I threw it in a strong pickle before I even skinned it to tighten it up a little bit. As George said, McKenzie has the forms and they work well. Remember to knock the protective womb sheath off the bottoms of the hooves or it will dry up into a shriveled mass.

7. Yep been there on the preemie. So cute when finished. I used the tiniest laying down form Mckenzie had and cut it down more. It's like mounting wet toilet paper but the results were worth it.