1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sailfish coloration (PHOTOS ADDED)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Vicki Chritton-Myers, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Look great! Congrats to the new Marine! =)

2. The first picture a mount from Mike's website and it is listed as a Pacific Sail. So did Mike get it wrong? No

George, yes everyone knows a deers nose is solid black,JUST Like a Sailfish is solid Blue, but a taxidermist should know better.

I'm I on a mission as you put it? Yes, this is Taxinet and we are all here to learn. It's one thing to paint a fish the way they want because the customer thinks he knows what is correct, but for a taxidermist to tell another," do it this way because that's what they want" is wrong. We are on Taxinet to learn whats correct. We go to competitions to learn a better way. Educate the taxidermist first, then they can educate the customer. If the customer doesn't want to be educated, then that's fine at least you tried.

On Pacific sailfish the reference shows a shade of green. Is it about Reference, Reference Reference or what someone else does? Myself, I like reference!

In the past I was guilty of painting fish the way customers wanted them just like everyone else. A few years back I read a post in the fish section that changed my mind. After years of looking at all the awesome fish pics that get post day in and day and feeling a little jealous. I made a choice to not let the customers tell me how to paint fish. My fish business has exploded. The most common comment from customers is, " FINALLY a taxidermist that paints fish like fish".

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Thanks! Not to hijack your thread btw!

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

All good points JP. I agree with all you've said. We all SHOULD know the species and how it should look. If the customer wants it different, then that becomes a balancing act of what I can do and what I will do to appease him.

And in all honest, the Pacific variety is a faded memory to me as my contacts directly with it were nearly 50 years ago. The last one we caught was a mix of bronze and red when it came on the boat. I wasn't doing much reference study then and the Japanese crew on board was more interested in making sushi that charting colors.

5. makoman

makoman Member

Here's the one and only Sail Fish I have ever mounted ,not any in NewZealand waters !

Attached Files:

• Sail.jpg
      Sail.jpg
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Makoman, that coloration is much closer to the three I saw, than the majority of what I've seen painted. Will probably paint mine close to that. Thanks for sharing! =)

7. George

Makoman, that's a beautiful fish, but those are the largest pelvic rakers I've ever seen on a fish.

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Indo-Pacific?

9. makoman

makoman Member

That's how they are in life George ,I took the mould off a fish that came from Tonga, a long spine with a membrane off the trailing edge ,makes them look bigger when they are hunting same as the sail .
    Cheers Kev

10. George

Very interesting. Thanx.

11. I have some molded like that as well. We call them curb feelers. Not sure what the technical name is for them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. George

LOL JP, I wonder how many people know what those were. There IS a striking resemblance, isn't there?

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I didn't know a sailfish was considered a "low rider" ;)

14. I don't think most customers prefer the "underwater look" to their fish. The water blocks the effect of the sun and light on the fish and customers remember the look of the fish when it came out of the water. Most fish look quite a bit different underwater and even the transparency of the fins changes its look under water.
    Not saying I have never used those pics for some reference but mostly just for anatomical reference and how they move, ext.. That all said I have never seen a live sailfish in person nor have I painted one. My point is just that the hues and ways light bounces off the surface are completely different when a fish in under water.