1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL....

Discussion in 'Mammal Reference Photos' started by raesean, Jun 3, 2014.

1. raesean

raesean New Member

Please help me if you know what kind of animal this is ...
    I tried posting more pictures but had a heck of a time figuring out how to reduce their size ....
    Anything you can tell me type/age/origin - ANYTHING would be appreciated! THANK YOU!

** Also all of its feet are missing - but it looks like real bone coming down from the legs - is this normal in taxidermy? The rest of the insides look to be old straw/raffia or other natural fiber. Anyone think it could be a lynx? How do you tell the age of a piece like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Really looks like a it could be the offspring of a manbearpig. Here an adult for comparison.

Attached Files:

3. nope its not a manbearpig. I've seen one before.. wrong ears. looks like a goat... you can easily tell by the teeth. but in all seriousness i don't have any clue what that it is. its old and very crappy

4. Looks like really old fox.

5. cameron you could easily be right. but look at the fur color. it looks brown and the back almost looks blackish. could it be a raccoon? i will say though that the eyes do look like the eyes of a fox.

6. raesean

raesean New Member

manbearpig? Perhaps .... But if its the offspring - couldn't you just compare it to your baby pictures - instead of posting a pic of your Mom?!? IDK:)

7. Could be I just threw out a guess.It is an old and deteriritaing mount so It probaly lost its color if it had any.

8. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I thought it was your wife.

9. juli

juli Active Member

mink

10. May be easier to tell if we could see the whole thing. I was thinking fisher or really nasty grey fox. I think it may be a bit big for a mink and too short of muzzle for a red fox.
    Very doubtfully a Lynx.
    And no most modern taxidermy is not like that. I don't think very many taxidermists use the real bones and wrap the bodies on top of the skeleton anymore. Most are foam bodies and a tanned leather on top of that.
    Tough to tell on the age but by the looks of it and the methods used I would think the 70s at the latest, probably older.
    As for downsizing pictures go to photobucket.com and get an account. Upload pics on your account there, go to your library and click on the pic and select get links, a list of different links will pop up and you can double click the bottom one and it will copy it. Then right click on here and paste. When you post the entire picture should post to here.

11. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Many of the old books taught the use of wrapped leg bones in the mounting process so it's "normal" for an old mount. Probably even has the skull in it. Foam didn't come into general use until the Mid-Late 70's, so I'd say before that. I'm going to call it a fox....a very very dirty fox. I don't think coon, because I believe that the "mask" would still be slightly visible. Nose is a bit short for any kind of cat. More pictures would definitely help and some measurements, too! Take it apart and identify the skull may be the best way. I'd carefully disassemble it and take pictures of the process.

Based on what I can see, it may have been a pretty good mount for it's day.

12. raesean

raesean New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some more pictures....

*** Thanks Gameovertaxidermy & Old Fart - VERY helpful!!! (especially the photobucket advice:) ***

13. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

If they used its bones for the legs than they probably used the real skull too, and the teeth look like those of a canid. So my guess would also be fox.

It's too bad the carnassials are tucked inside the cheek because a look at those would really tell.

14. I'm going to say grey fox. In the 2nd pic of the 1st post there is some hair in the neck area that has not lost too much color. And as stated the teeth definitely look like canine. However a couple of the back shots with the legs part missing and the color loss do somewhat resemble a cat but its definitely not a cat.

15. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

POSSUM

16. juli

juli Active Member

Ha, I never saw all the pictures..just the close up of the head...
    fox, of some sort...

17. Second photo on top on its neck you can see a bit of color wasnt faded and wasnt dusty its a grey fox.

18. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

19. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Look at the hair at the base of the neck next to the face left side in close up GRAY FOX without question.