1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best thing to do with wet tans when moving?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by phoenix-cry, Jun 3, 2014.

1. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

I'm going to be moving across the country soon and I have wet tans in my freezer that I don't want to give up (sell) and I don't have time to mount before the move.

Is it safe to just hang them up and allow them to dry for moving day and then rehydrate at a later date? Or should I go through the trouble of finding someone who will hold them for me local and then ship them to me once I'm set up? Second option is expensive.

Here's the species I've got if that makes any difference: coyote, deer, mountain lion, and skunk. the lion was done in liquid tan from Mckenzie, the rest were all commercial wet tans, if that makes a difference.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I've left them out bagged for a week, just needed a little rehydration, good to go after that. Also had a few wet tans left out that dried up like a dry tan, no problem with that scenario either.

3. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

Depending on what resources you have at your disposal it could be worry free but a good quality five day ice chest & some ice should do the trick on the lower end of the spectrum.

4. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Pack them in a coolor with dry Ice.

5. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

X2

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I moved from NY to GA and simply loaded all the freezers onto the truck, plugged them back in, and finished packing. Unplugged the freezers, hit the road, and then plugged them back in after unloading. The freezers with frozen items inside did exactly what they were designed to do. No problem at all. No need for insulation, theyre freezers, and no need for a cold source, the frozen items did that.