1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #20

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by birdstuffer, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Hello fellow avian morticians!
    I want to start out by introducing myself to those of you that don't know me. My name is Cheri and I've been doing taxidermy for 33 years. I'm originally from Reno,Nevada but have been in northern Idaho now for 20 years. I'm mostly self taught and have learned A LOT since I joined the forum a little over 2 years ago. If we only had computers and the forum when I started at 18....
    I want to take this opportunity to thank all the GREAT people I have met and worked with on this site. Every day I look forward to logging on and being inspired. Thank you to all that have gifted me birds and given me some great specimens for my private collection too. You all know who you are and I'm hoping that you will find the time to post your work in the next 2 weeks. So let's get started...I got in quite a few Snow and Ross geese this season so it's a lot of the same old but that's all I have to show right now.

Attached Files:

2. I'm also posting a few pictures along the way of my shop by request. If you have any photos you can share of your work space...post them please! :)

Attached Files:

3. Nice start birdstuffer,beautiful shop too :)

4. Thanks for hosting this week Cheri! Beautiful geese and I love shop pics. Tell the truth...is it always that clean? This will be my first bird to ever post in BOTW and only my fifth bird overall. It is the shoveler I mounted while working with Eugene in Montana. Finally got it finished entirely and changed the base up a little. Excited to start showing some of what I've been working on since class. Can't wait to see everyone else's birds this week as well!

[​IMG]

5. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Cheri thanks for hosting us the next two weeks and your start with again two wonderful geese. That is what I wanted to ask you too, is that shop clean because you are a women ? I would not like to show you photos of my workspace and
    Jason, this cannot be your fifth mount, I am not able to do such a mount after 40 years of bird taxidermy,
    Rainer.

6. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

I think a more important question is how does she keep such perfectly manicured finger nails while working........Stevie!!! well?
    Beautiful shovelor you are well on your way to quality workmanship.......

7. First ever Goose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

and I thought I was the only one with a tv in my work area!!!

9. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

And shes watching Ellen..... These little guys went out today.

Attached Files:

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Awesome birds everyone. Every week we see such beautiful mounts! There are some very talented people out there. Thanks to everyone for posting and writing about bird taxidermy. It all keeps me motivated to do better and I learn so much from everyone.

Here is a white one for my best taxi friend, Cheri.
    I always look forward to seeing a white bird posted by you, so I thought I would reciprocate in kind. ;)

Dan "the original hack taxidermist" :)

Attached Files:

11. HUYE

HUYE Member

[​IMG]
    northern eider (borealis)

12. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I swear mines not on ellen

13. nina5150

nina5150 Well-Known Member

Wow.looks great with what you had to work with.dont see how you managed to get passed the fleshing,washing and rince stage and still have it in one piece

14. wings II

wings II New Member

Steve (OFF) great save!....you are a better man than I am getting that bird mounted :)

15. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

LOL
    I was thinking the same thing . . .

16. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

Wow! Look's good. I can't imagine doing a duck like that. They are hard enough in full plumage.

17. What a great first day! Thanks for all who have posted!
    First of all I must admit I did vacuum my shop before I took the pictures and hey I may be a bit of a clean freak but there were feathers on my floor today...and yes most of the time I have the tv on listening to talk shows...I was wondering if anyone would notice that Ellen was on in that picture! Very observant JAY.I do listen to music at times but I find it very hard to mount a bird and dance at the same time. Oh and my nails aren't perfectly manicured by the end of the week Wolfie! ;D

JASON RADER I welcome you to the forum, which I refer to as the Facebook for taxidermists.I said "no way" out loud when I read that your Spoony was your fifth mount !!!!I could only wish mine would turn out as GREAT! You chose an AWESOME taxidermist to learn from. He has helped me out too. Never met him in person but we chat online and on the phone once in a while. I consider him one of my idol's. Keep up the great work!

MR.DEW: Once again the words "no way" came out of my mouth out loud when I read that the goose was your first. It took me years to get them to look that good.I'm so impressed! Welcome to the forum! Specks are one of my favorite geese to mount.

BUCKSNORT: Dan my man! Looks like you got your goose just as white as mine! Good job!Thanks for posting...you don't give yourself enough credit.How's that beautiful yellow lab of yours doing?

HUYE: My newest acquaintance...I Love your work. As you know I have 2 of these to do next...never have done them before and I am using your pictures for reference. It's so nice to meet people that like to chat about what we do and everything else. I can't believe how nice people are on here and you Jay are one of the nicest! Oh and by the way welcome to the forum!

OFF: I am AMAZED at what you did with such a disaster. I don't know if I would of even attempted to mount such a mess but you pulled it off! Nobody would of known there was anything wrong with it to start with if you didn't tell us.One thing I have learned over the years is to not give up and this is a great example. I was complaining this week from a bird having a couple of tears from a dog's retrieve! Steve I am glad you are back and thanks for helping me out with a couple things I needed.

I have met so many nice people on here!! It's so much fun! Keep the posts coming! How about pictures of your shops? or even you????I like having a face to go with the name... ;)
    Here's another angle of my shop.

Attached Files:

18. JBird

JBird Member

First - Rai-Red - awesome last two weeks and I'm genuinely sorry I couldn't make it in time before you were done - but very well done and GREAT two weeks.

Second - CHERI !!! Good to see you hosting my friend - its no secret I've long been a huge fan of your work and even better come to call you friend ;D

Lots of great stuff everyone - but had to say JASON - STUNNING SHOVELOR - seriously - stunning.

OFF I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you posted that - I think we can all relate with the exception of the follow through - NICELY DONE

Here is a piece that was of tremendous struggle to me - terribly necropsied - scalped, cut into several pieces - I wasn't sure it could even be salvaged - which is partially why I loved your post OFF - sometimes the worst specimens turn out to be the best mounts because it forces you to work that much harder on them - I have NEVER spent so much time sewing on any bird as I did this one - there is probably more thread than actual skin on this stupid thing - but I did enjoy the process and tried not to stress over it - took my time - stopped when I got burnt out and resumed when I was ready - made all the difference in the world I think (mostly for my state of mind and sanity) A Toco Toucan

[​IMG]

19. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

I know it's BOTW but my buddy took this a couple months ago at his house and I thought it was pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

20. FF/Birdman

FF/Birdman Well-Known Member

Hello Cheri and thanks for hosting. Beautiful shop and nice bird work. Looks like you are off to a great week. With all the geese I keep seeing I thought you would enjoy this nice Canada. Take care, Paul.

[​IMG]