1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do you keep seam from showing?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ada2453, Jun 12, 2014.

1. I'm having trouble keeping the hair from being misaligned and standing up in places after sewing up the back of the neck. I try to be very careful while sewing to keep hair out of the stitches and then while drying I pin some screen material over the seam. But I can't keep the hair from standing up or misaligning in places. Is there a trick to hide the seam and to make the hair lay down?

2. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Make sure the skin on the edges isn't too thick Sometimes when a cape is shaved the very edge gets pushed under and it ends up being very thick. Also make sure you keep your stitches very close to the edge.

If I have a spot that is giving me trouble sometimes I will take a flat hammer and tap the seam slightly so the seam makes a slight impression in the form. then you can put some hair gel on the seam and then some screen wire pinned on until it dries.

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

This, to me, is key. I like to have my needle come out almost on the edge with each stitch, or the skin will pucker on you.

4. OK thanks for the help. I have a whitetail that is just finished drying and there is a spot in the middle of the neck where the hair is sticking up a little and looks funny. Should I just put some hair gel on that and try to smooth it down? I sprayed it with some water and tried to brush it down and that helped a little but it still doesn't look right. I appreciate the help!

5. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

Good sound advice given in previous two replies. Keeping the distance between the stitches close will also go along way in helping hide the seam. Most of the time problem areas will identify themselves just as soon as you groom the hair after you finish sewing. Take the time to investigate these problem areas. You maybe able to adjust the individual thread of the stitch, if it is trapping some hair or has the skin puckering causing hair to stand, to eliminate the problem.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Another reason to sew the cape from the back side if its open dorsal and just leave enough open to get the cape over the head. No hair to worry about getting into stitches that way and makes it easier to mount. Plus the advise the other post gave, all good info.

7. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Dippity-do

8. Sounds good. Thanks for the info!