1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

May be a dumb question.....

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Major, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

But, I can never get an eye as clean and nice as it is after I take it out of the wrapping. I only use wood tools, and am extremely careful during mounting and finishing. I get them very clean in the end, but they just never seem quite as crisp and shiny as the original...... Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent this? Or to get that really pretty look?

Sorry if this has been posted on before.....

Gracias,

Rob

2. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I also only use wooden tools, then when ready to finish Q-tip with lacquer thinner first cleaning then spray with Windex and a Q-tip then a small artist brush with Liquid Crystal and done. I'm happy with the results. JMO

3. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I don't use clear because it can lift the paint around the eye. I use future floor wax, it's an acrylic, it works really well.
    My buddy Ron Elkins taught me that.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use Windex on a Q-tip. I go over and over it, then with a dry Q-tip, I polish the eye then use another dry Q-tip or more and continue to polish until they look like liquid. The key imo, is, I clean and polish them during every step. After setting them I use the Windex and Q-tips and polish. After sculpting the eye lids, same thing. After mounting it, same process. When it comes time to polish after painting, it is a breeze to clean and polish already polished eyes.

5. butterbean

butterbean New Member

windex & q-tip

6. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Rick Krane shared with me to use extra fine steel wool to buff my glass eyes. It has helped me keep a very clean eyes and no scratches. I know Some may disagree but it turkey works. Do not do this with acrylic eyes, it will ruin them.

7. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

Thanks everyone. I do use the q-tip an windex method often during the process. I get and keep them very clean but it's just that perfect "new" look I can't quite regain. Thanks!!
    Thanks Tim. Got your PM

8. Justin2011

Justin2011 New Member

I use a Q tip and polish the eye after every step with Brite Eyes that you get from McKenzie's, seems like it works a lot better then Windex IMO!

9. Keeping eye clean after every step is a must IMO. After I've finished doing all finish work I use q-tip and denatured alcohol, then dry q-tip and polish. Pleased with the look. Hope this helps.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Are you using plastic eyes? I avoid them at all costs. I clean my glass eyes when I finish mounting. I use a visor to let me get the nooks and crannies cleaned. I airbrush the paint and then clean them with lacquer tinner and an artists brush. When clean I use a drop of Brite Eyes or WD-40 on each eye.

11. I use the scrubber brush sets McKenzie sells. Great for setting eyes, cleaning eyes and polishing eyes. You need to have several sets on hand to use in steps from dirty to polish. These brushes are worth their wait in gold.

12. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I use a cotton bud/q-tip with a little spot of car polish to make the eye sparkle. Got that tip in the arch's somewhere a few years back.

13. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

14. When you get the eye in the package cut it out without removing the plastic over it. Carefully trim to approximately what your going to have showing then mount. After finnishing carefully peel the plastic off.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Oh, if that had any semblance of truth to it ...aside from not making sense to begin with.

16. How much dry preservative do you need to tan a Hide?? :eek: