1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shipping

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by bone-o, Jun 13, 2014.

1. bone-o

bone-o New Member

I shipped some frozen specimens on Monday afternoon via Priority 2-Day Mail. According to the website, it has made no progress in four days. Is it safe to assume that something went wrong at this point? What can I do about it?

2. Nothing... That is USPS for you. And they DO NOT insure frozen items.

3. bone-o

bone-o New Member

USPS Priority comes with $50 insurance but you're probably right. The package seems to have arrived 3 days late, so it's probably rancid by now and the recipient will have to do additional work as a result. I'm not convinced I can claim any insurance, though, because according to this chart (https://about.usps.com/posters/pos138.pdf) it's "perishable," and I didn't declare that at the time of shipping. Also the chart is ambiguous about what animals I'm even legally allowed to ship (in the "dead animals" category it only mentions birds and fish) and I'm not sure if I should open that can of worms.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If there was a guarantee with the shipping time, then claim it. Contents is immaterial. If the package was not delivered on time, within the guarateeed time frame, you are owed a full refund on the shipping cost. There is a tracking number and they can see that it was not delivered on time as promised. What was in the package is of no concern to them. They failed in the delivery and, if the time was guaranteed, they will refund your money. Priority is normally 3 days on average. If you paid for a guaranteed 2 day delivery, you need to ask for your money back. Possibly not insurance as, once I noted that the contents were "perishable", they refused to ship the package. Assuming that they were heads for skull work, they were not damaged at all really.

5. bone-o

bone-o New Member

Thanks. Apparently Priority Mail is not guaranteed, only Express is.

The package has been "out for delivery" since early tomorrow morning. It's now been five days. I'm a little terrified that something has gone wrong. There were three raw animals in the package.

6. Sea Wolf

If they were whole, raw animals, then you need to call the Post Office or go there ASAP (like tomorrow am). If they were for taxidermy, they are already ruined. Skeletal work will still be ok but the package probably smells so bad by now it may have been disposed of. You need to go there and have them tell you what happened to the package and where it is and to deliver it regardless of what it smells like if there is a complaint. If they ask, a raw specimen is all they need for an answer.

If something is important for it to arrive frozen then nothing less than proper packaging with freeze packs and shipping overnight or next day by Fed Express is needed.

7. bone-o

bone-o New Member

Thank you. I sent a copy of this post to the recipient. I was the sender. What can I do from my end, if anything?

8. Sea Wolf

Sending a copy of this post does nothing to help the recipient. They are waiting for you to contact the PO as you were the shipper.

9. bone-o

bone-o New Member

I'm sorry, I misunderstood because based on my interactions with the USPS so far, it seems like they don't have much control over or information about what's going on with a package at a far distant location.

In any case, it doesn't matter. The package was returned to me due to a bad address(?). Thank you very much for your help.

10. Sea Wolf

At least it got returned. If they were for skeletal work, let the specimens air out and dry some after a good rinse with some warm water to get the slime off. Bag them well and refreeze if it's worth it. Contact your buyer and see if they are still interested or if they want their money returned to them. Make sure you get a good address for them and try shipping Fed Ex next time. Just make sure you don't have them need a signature because if no one signs for it, it won't get delivered.

11. AHA bad address. This my have been the problem all along

12. Sea Wolf

This also just happened to me. Priority Mail parcel was dropped off (and scanned in) on Monday. According to the tracking info, it sat there for 4 days until it was put in transit and did not start to move in the system until Friday. It is now moving but it's a tad bit too late now. I called the phone number listed on the website for tracking and lodged a complaint as well as making sure that the package now got delivered regardless of what it smelled like. After some checking and apologies, it now seems like the package has been bumped up for a Mon morning delivery, second day air for no charge. Sometimes it does pay to grumble.