1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thank God for the Taxidermy Net

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jun 14, 2014.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I can't believe I'm the only person who thinks that the other "taxidermy blogs" on other sites include some butt ugly, hideous work. The beauty of this site is that such work seldom comes here without a caveat of it being a beginner trying to learn and expecting a critique. Like the blog on Facebook, however, it's bad enough that those "ugly babies" show up there, but it's mortifying to see the number of people who'll chime in that says, "Great work", "Looks great", or even the repulsive "Beautiful." Now I'm not saying I haven't done my share (and a few other people's share) of average or even bad work, but I was capable of seeing that it was terrible. What makes those sites even worse is that the work of truly talented taxidermists with museum quality mounts appears alongside these hideous pieces of crap. Please tell me there are some of you who've seen this and yearn to tell the guy that his work sucks.

2. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Lol George I'm glad you haven't changed! You always say it straight up! :)

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

George X10! People don't know what a live animal looks like. A website called GON for Georgia hunters has a "recommend a taxidermist" thread. Most of the mounts shown are hideous but people still love it! I like it when they say some dude is the "best" and it looks like the crap in Cracker Barrel. LOL

4. I'm not in the same league as some on here but I see work posted on my states hunting forum page all the time that look terrible and everyone says great Mount!!! I don't think most people look beyond the antlers

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

In my state hunting forum, I see the same thing. And pity the the fool who tells it like it is and calls a spade a spade. he will be crucified. I just cringe and move on. Rick is right about hunters having no idea what a deer really looks like. I told my dad that 90% of hunters have no idea deer don't have upper front teeth. His reply was "uh, you mean they don't?". This is a man who has killed at least a deer a year or more for sixty years.

6. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Well said George I some times can't bear to look at some of those mounts , I can't believe they even post them and put they're name on them.

7. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

The sad truth is the majority of people just want something dead on their wall and there are plenty of hackadermists to help them out. Better yet are the ones who mount that crap and tell others "how to " do something when it is apparent they have not a clue themselves.

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

ya kinda wonder why you even do the best you can do and all they see are the antlers. ???

9. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

X10 Rick and George. Some times I just feel like saying "Really" on some of those posts, but it would only start a crap storm.

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

LOL George maybe you should post it on Facebook............. That's why we don't post it here. Ahhh so so true!!!

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

First a point, then my own bitch...

Many of those pics are NOT only posted in a taxidermy group on facebook, but on that persons own personal page where only his family , customers and yes, us followers see it. I say this just in case anyone feels the need to comment, dont forget it might be his own personal page. Now for my bitch...

Theres been a bunch of new groups forming in fb with a taxidermy theme, such as knowledgable taxidermists only, or gallery, or taxinet members, etc. Ive been invited into a few of them, too. Yet they almost all have members in there bitching all the time about how bad taxinet is, and how theyd go there instead, yet they fight and delete and leave in a huff in those groups...just like taxinet. And, just like they say its unique to taxinet. But its taxinet thats so bad...not them. 8) I always thought FB stood for face bitch anyway...

12. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Everyone started somewhere. My mom still thinks those deer heads I did when I was in high school over 40 years ago and are still hanging on her wall are great mounts. Thanks Mom. I am glad that I did not have facebook as a young man when I was "really" not smart enough to make not make a constant fool of myself. I have sold several bronzes through my facebook page and even got a few new taxidermy clients through facebook. I really like taxidermy.net a lot and I enjoy seeing the taxidermy work of others, good and bad and getting to know other taxidermists I might not otherwise have but you sure have to have thick skin on this site and I don't believe I ever picked up a client through taxinet except of course selling and buying capes to fellow taxidermists, etc.

13. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    In almost 40 years of doing taxidermy there has never been a time when unlearned people did not tell me I was the "best taxidermist in the world"! ::) ::) ::) ::) Oh that it were true,,,,,then, or now!! :-\

14. George

Ron, you're a pretty smart fellow - regardless if what I've said in the past. LOL.

15. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

This is by far better than any of the FB sites for knowledge and people willing to help..... I personally called others and send PM's asking for help in one form or another and received it. As for the FB pages there are some real good people on there but you don't get the information and help like you would hope. One thing is there is more crap on FB than anywhere else as well as some great work (i.e. Dennis Harris). On taxnet we have a lot more great people but they don't post their work but they do a couple of things, willingness to help anyone (even those they slam), give their opinion even when it's not wanted (like me), and post a pic only if they really are led to. I do enjoy looking at all the Great, Good, and a little bit of the crap as it gives me a personal desire to do better (all these classes I've been taking are going to break me... LOL). I do agree that there are only a few (very few) that should start a post with their own picture. I have posted a few pics on here and some I've removed after feeling how bad they look but I can't remember ever starting a post of my work (excuse me if I did). One thing is with all the crap out there and great ones I hope everyone will stick in there put up with the crap and help to make others better. There are a lot of people I respect in the industry (i.e. Rick, Bill, George,Cole, Jimmy, Steve, Boxie, Kent, Jerry, Matt and more), and these are just a few of those that I have either taken a class with or helped me out (damn I can't afford to loose more hair !!! ).

16. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

What is FB?? I always thought that was a lonely hearts club site where people went to get their ego's stroked, and the winner was the one who could obtain the most "friends". I find it rather sad, really.

17. George

So what's your question Tim. You already have the answer.

18. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Hey, now wait just a cotton pickin' minute, we come on here for other reasons too!...oh wait...you where talking about FB...sorry, my mistake. Carry on.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for bad work we wouldn't know what good work is! I always try to remember that some of that work is being done by masters simply on the journey to the top. I still feel a little sorry for the critter though!

20. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

Yeah but guys theres no like button here :) I like all you guys and I am glad i can like you on Facebook he he :)